New idler for Garrard 401

I fitted the AudioSilente idler wheel to my Garrard 401 last night. It took 2 days to get to the East Coast from Italy. $106 inc. shipping. Took 3 mins to fit. Cleaned with alcohol. Oiled both bushes. Home-made packaging is pretty lame. I listened to a few sides before I swapped it in. Alberta Hunter Blues Serenaders live in Chicago 1961 and The New Black Eagle Jazz Band live in Boston 1981. Both great recordings with lots of audience vibe. The 401 has slightly recessed highs with cymbals not as lit up as I’d like. Not anymore. As some (@dover) have noted, it is not only more detailed, there is a noteable improvement in the coherence of the structure of the music. Playing those albums again with the new idler was ridiculous. I thought I’d put on the wrong side! Wider soundstage. Venue size cues revealed themselves. Morgana King is singing to /me/ whereas before I didn’t exist.
Those who have compared idlers with a nice LP12 and hankered after a little of that sublime delicacy that can be a little absent from a Garrard need look no further. I am not kidding. This is a substancial improvement in the portrayal of music. Extended highs that fade forever into silence. Bass is cleaner too -clearing away some mid bass bloom. Then I remembered I hadn’t checked the speed, and it did sound faster. Nope. Perfect. One other thing; surface noise is reduced by an order. Friends, if you have a 301/401 with a perfect rubber wheel, drop everything and buy this idler wheel. It literally changes everything.
128x128noromance

Showing 6 responses by noromance

@totem395 I believe they are for the Lenco wheel. The Garrard ring is ground specifically for the 301/401 with a warning not to take it off.
I am lucky to have 2 refurbished 401 turntables. Last night, I compared the two - one with an almost perfect rubber idler and the other with the Audio Silente idler. Oh dear. No comparison. Piano is stable like I've never heard it from a turntable. The original rubber is so bad, it's not funny.
@cracker63
Hi Nick, Sure.
Do NOT remove rubber o-ring from new idler for any reason.
Remove platter.
Remove 2 screws holding the idler wheel assembly.
Lift off straight up gently so not to damage scintered bushing..
Lift out rubber idler.
Clean area with isopropyl alcohol.
Add one drop sewing machine oil to lower bushing.
Place new idler wheel in straight down.
Replace upper housing and re-screw.
Add one drop of oil to upper bushing.
Clean new idler rubber and inside of platter rim with isopropyl alcohol.
Refit platter.
NOTE - if your idler bushings are worn/wobbly/packed with grease, do not fit new idler.

Thanks for the follow-up, Nick. Glad it worked out.

@jperry
 report back when you fit and listen!

The AudioSilente wheel has gone up fron $89 to $100. Artisan Fidelity also sell one for $365. It is reportedly better but I haven't heard it. Maybe for my birthday...

You are not the first. But you'll have to check over to Lenco Heaven. There seems to have been some issues with the rubber o-ring on the AS Lenco wheel according to some posts from a few years ago. So make sure to ask Simone at AS for the silicone ring.