New Doors box set

Just wanted to post a couple quick comments on the new Doors Box set 'perception'.

It is the real deal. Fantastic packaging, DVD audio of all albums in stereo and 5.1 with DTS and dolby versions if you need that, quality booklets that actually talk about the individual albums rather than the story of the band.

I have only listened in DVD audio 2ch so far and all I can say is wow. The Doors album have always been considered well recorded for rock, but it is kicked open on this one. The change in speed for the the fist album (correction for mis-calibrated tape deck)is more noticeable to me that that on Kind of blue. In comparing the old speed version to the the new it is clearly better separate from the sound quality difference.

Of course I have bought all this music numerous times, I now have all three box sets, and yes I feel used But I have to say this is the way to do a do a box set.
nikturner920

Showing 3 responses by nikturner920

There was not a lot of information on this set when I got it and what it offers. Not sure what will happen in a month...any hints Nrchy ;-)

It is essentially deluxe editions of all of the doors released studio albums with outtakes. Each album has a red book cd and a DVD with the same songs in Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround, DTS 5.1, DTS Stereo, Advanced Resolution Surround, and Advanced Resolution Stereo (DVD-A) with 2 additional videos. The cd sound quality is excellent as well, but I only gave a listen to a couple discs and moved on to the DVDA stereo mixes. It is my understanding that the cd are 'remastered' and the DVDA is 'remixed and remastered' This is obvious for the surround mixes but unsure about the hi res stereo until I compare to the cds. No comments from me on the surround quality I would love to hear from someone else on this.
The cds surpass the DCC gold to me, and those were my favorite before this set. Hard to say about the vinly as my vinyl rig is not up to the standard of my cd player. I think if the DVDs are of no use it is probably over priced for just the CDs. They will probably release them as seperate cds later since that is what they did with the last remastering.
Advanced Resolution Surround and Advanced Resolution Stereo are DVD-A, on the doors box they are 24/96 but can be different bit rates.

I never noticed that before about Dolby Digital and DTS. I only use stereo on my modified Denon but it does appear that I can only play the DVD-A stream and not the others.