New Class D amplifiers

Hello. I'm very interested in getting your opinion on the newer Class D amplifiers.  There has been a couple of very positive reviews (by Guttenberg) of the Bel Canto C6i and NAD M23.  These, and perhaps some others are offering new technology that significantly lower the class D noise level and other drawbacks.    

I currently use a Class A amp, Pass Labs INT-25 (with Dynaudio Heritage Special speakers) which has a wonderful sound. But I am transitioning to another location, and due to using Roon primarily I find that this system stays on most of the day.  Due to heat and power usage of Class A amplifiers, I'm interested in translating to Class D if I find something comparable.

128x128grantgg
I have owned the Cherry amps (both the stereo and the monoblocks) and the Atma-Sphere monoblocks - I thought both were outstanding Class D amps. I now own a D-Sonic stereo amp which IMO rivals both of the above. The Cherrys are gone for obvious reasons and I sold the Atma-Spheres once I heard the D-Sonics which are about half the price. I can't say the D-Sonics were better, but to me they sounded as good and at half the price they were a much better value in my system

Having owned the 2Cherry, which at the time sounded better than a number of other amps I had owned/auditioned...I would say that the Starkcrimison Stereo Ultra improves upon the 2Cherry in that it has both a more detailed and a more powerful low end.

At the end of the day, all we can do as enthusiasts is try products that seem to be getting a good buzz and see if they are compelling in our own systems...and then if so, decide whether to make a change.

I’m a tube head and never warmed to many Class D amps. But, as time went on and I heard more Class D offerings that and began to find them sonically appealing.

About a year ago, I bought a "summer amp" to substitute in for my tube amps during the heat of the summer. I tried a Ken Ishiwata voiced Marantz reference Ruby integrated. It sounds as good as several of my tube amps, and better than a few well known names. It doesn’t beat my 48 watt SET 805 Class A amp, but it’s really, really, good. I hate to list the tube amps that the Marantz beat in my system.

I think the key to Class D is voicing by the designer. I’ve tried several other Class D amps that sounded a bit too dry and lacked warmth and life.

@wrm57, I just sold my Pass XA30.8 after purchasing the AtmaSphere Monos.  I like a few things better with each amp, and more than not I find they sounded pretty similar.  Of all the other SS amps I've tried against my Pass amps I find the AtmaSphere the closest in terms of smoothness, warmth, and lack of fatigue.

In the end, two 14 pound boxes and zero heat swayed the decision...  Packaging and shipping the Pass (106 pounds boxed and that is the baby of the family) was not fun :)

@ddafoe , glad you found the Atmas to your taste. No doubt your back and energy bill will be as happy as your ears. Smooth and warm are the characteristics I most recall from my brief time with them, which left me wanting more air and sparkle. But that’s my ears, my system, of course.