New CAT owner with a few questions????

I recently purchased a CAT Ultimate(here at Audiogon). Being a relative newcomer to high-end audio, I would appreciate a little help. I'm really enjoying this Preamp and I just want to make sure I'm doing everthing possible to maximze the preamp and my enjoyment.

1. I don't understand the use of the phono plugs provided and the loading issues. My system includes a Well-Tempered Reference and a Transfigration Spirit cartridge.
2. The CAT manual mentions the use of tube dampers on certain tubes, thoughts on this.
3. Power cords and phono interconnect for the CAT?
4. NOS for the CAT.
5. The manual mentions grounding issues and floating the system? How important is this?
5. Did I miss anything?

Thanks for any of your thoughts on the above items.
grandpoobah

Showing 1 response by superclamp040b

Have owned my CAT for some 8 years now, and had it upgraded to MK 3. the first incarnation was a drag with almost any brand tube at V6 V7 failed at its task.
The MK 3 is much better behaving, i use the Siemens 6922 goldpin at V6 V7 for some time now, with very reliable and great sounding result. also have a good stock of nos 6922 Ediswan, which are great sounding, but not as rugged as the Siemens.
The CAT was and is very sensitive on its tubes.
i never liked any loading on the phono. keep the 47K.
for powercords, tried many but no big results here, so may keep the stock cord. heard many CAT owners with the PS-300 having great results.
always go for an absolute earthing rod in your garden, but this tweak will account for every gear, be tube or SS.
Some dont even prefer the Ultimate over the MK-3, matter of taste.. maybe the only preamp worth consideration over the CAT is an Atma-Sphere MP-1 mk2.