New Bel Canto REF600M using NCORE

Wow!!..Looks like John hit another home run at Bel Canto with the just released REF 600M using NCORE amplifiers. 300 watts into 8ohms. $4500.00 a pair. The REF 1000M is out of production. I have a feeling this is Bel Canto's best amp ever below the Bel Canto Black. Look forward to Guido checking it out.
audiozen

Showing 5 responses by sebollo001

From Bell Canto REF600M specification/features page:

"The Bel Canto Impedance Optimized Input Stage is a balanced high Common Mode Rejection, low output impedance driver that is critical to the amplifier's performance, ensuring that the refined dynamic qualities of the recording are preserved."

This is what will give this amplifier its "bell canto flavor", and separate its performance from the rest of the Hypex based designs.

BTW I listened to a system using the NAD M22 two weeks ago, and wasn't impressed. The comparison was against an Accuphase integrated costing twice the M22, but not a lot more than M12 + M22 combined.

Is it just my experience, or Hypex (in general) requires very, very careful matching upstream? (downstream they are as speaker independent as I ever heard).

I would love to hear other users experiences.
I'm sorry if my post was not clear. I was not referring to NCORE impedance matching, as both the DIY NC400 and OEM NC1200 designs have all over 100K Ohms and don't present a challenge to the line stage devices.

I was talking about matching or pairing in terms of tonal balance, upstream. NCORE seems to be so neutral and with such an extended bandwidth, that it won't forgive not selecting the right source or line stage (by "right" I mean whatever makes you enjoy, feel the music you like).

NCORE, UcD as well as almost all the high end Class D developments were born, designed and optimized with professional audio performance objectives in mind. The first "audiophile" tuning has to be introduced by the OEM by designing the input stage (sometimes known as the brand sound), and finally completed by the user by choosing the right upstream components, also considering the speakers and room characteristics.

IMHO, it seems that NCORE, being so transparent, makes it a bit more challenging that final "user" tuning. However, if done correctly it can prove more rewarding.

The comment about the NAD M22 was just that, no intention to direct compare with the new Bel Canto amplifier, but in the general Class D and specific NCORE discussions it is worth to notice that it is not very simple to introduce an NCORE based amplifier in a playback chain and expect warranted satisfaction. I tried the M22 with a MacIntosh CD player and tube preamp, the speakers were Dynaudio Confidence C1 MK2. The result was a bit uninvolving, could not get the emotional connection with the music, only admire the resolution and dynamics of individual instruments.

Downstream, I read good experiences using NCORE with a wide range of sensitivities (even 104 dB horns) and impedance speakers, it does not seem to be a problem there.

I think the key to a successful NCORE based system is upstream. And these, as well as Anaview and Pascal, modules are so DSP friendly, that it is only a matter of time until advanced DSP is introduced into hardcore, purits, audiophile devices. French Trinnov and some other brands are leading this trend.

Cheers, Sebastian
Hi Guido, very interesting your comment regarding the gain switch in the new REF600M.

As far as I know, the gain setting has more to do with the preamplifier stage than with the speaker load.

It sets how sensitive the amplifier will be, meaning how much voltage it will need at its input to obtain its rated power.

So, if you have a strong enough preamplifier, you can lower the amplifier gain and still be able to reach the device rate power, independently of which speaker you have connected.

The big advantage is that with lower gain settings, you maximize the signal to noise ratio.

I would like an even lower gain setting, as many new DACs have quite strong output capabilities nowadays. The new Benchmark AHB2 has three gain options, for example, with the lowest being 13 dB.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that for the REF600M the gain option depends on the Hypex module, so there's not much John can do in that respect.

Rgds,
Sebastian
From what I read, NCORE (and also UcD) seems to be sonically step above what ICEpower currently offers. But there are other class D manufacturers that are also getting rave feedback, namely Pascal and Anaview. Many people say they are also sonically superior all ICEpower implementations.
I think this is expected, as Hypex, Pascal and Anaview designs are a generation ahead of B&O designs. As Guido commented, probably ICE next generation will get better and may even be sonically preferred over current top choices.
Everyone should try before buying these amplifiers. In many cases, due to upstream components, speakers, room accoutics, etc, the difference between a good ICEpower and an NCORE amplifier may be unnoticed.
Finally, and very important to notice, class D is still evolving. In two years we can expect a new performance jump from several of the many designers. In this scenario, it is critical to try before buy, and maybe target to at least a two generation jump upgrade.
Hi Goldprintaudio, thanks for the report. Can you list the specific components you are listening the REF600Ms with?