New Apple Lossless encoder??

Category: Digital

"Discerning customers and audiophiles want true CD audio, and now iTunes can give you that quality with the new Apple Lossless encoder. You’ll get the full quality of uncompressed CD audio using about half the storage space. You can copy music in this format onto your iPod or iPod mini, to take perfect audio wherever you go."

Can anyone explain this technology and is it a true statement that all of the sound information encoded on a CD can now be downloaded to an iPod and replayed with that same information and quality???? Or is this just hype and misleading info??
dbk
Twb2, I have that problem on my 60G I-Pod photo. It happens everytime I use it. I got several books about I-Pods, the authors feel that the Lossless makes the internal disk on the I-Pod spin more often than the ACC or MP3 encoders, hence battery life using the Lossless is much shorter.
just like a zip file. it compresses. but when you decompress, you get the exact original back, bit for bit.
Have you contacted Apple Support regarding this problem and if so what was their response????