New Anthem AVM 70 and MRX 740 difference in processing

I've had my eye on the new Anthem line-up recently. But I'm torn between the AVM70 processor only vs the MRX740 receiver.  

The receiver offers pre outs for all the channels I'd need.  So I wouldn't really use the amps in the receiver. 

BUT, MRX 's resell is going to be much better because it's all-in-one - fewer demand for the AVM, and the AVM is $1000 more.

So, are the internals of the AVM really all that much better? And how much difference would you really notice on multichannel movie playback?

Thoughts on this?
dtximages

Showing 15 responses by dtximages

@t-mac thanks for your input.  I'm primarily 2 channel too, but I have another system for that, so I'm not worried about the 2 channel ability of the receiver/processor.

I'm sure I'd be "fine" with the receiver but @soix acts like there would be a major difference so I'm still torn.
Yes I have multichannel amps for all channels.  I know I know, you always hear the processors use better parts and I get that.  But, on movies/surround, how much does that really matter?   This isn't two channel listening and most of the speakers are either crap, in wall, or behind your head.  

Also, some manufacturers (I believe) use the same internals in their receivers as they do their processors.  I don't know but I would bet that many processors are just the company's receiver without the amps. Hope I'm wrong about that but just a suspicion.  
@mahler123 yep, I'm sure they use some "better" parts, but what makes something "better"?  Just because it's more expensive doesn't make it better. 

Again though, so maybe they use top shelf parts etc etc.  Seems like a lot to play a soundtrack that is already far over bloated, eq'd, and digitized to begin with - through my tv's HDMI.  Like, why so high-end for my little Klipsch surround speakers stuck in weird corners behind my head?  You would never spend an extra $1000 on a preamp for your nice in-wall 2ch system. 

Anyway, still trying to figure out if the AVM is really any better than just the MRX. 

Why do I need the amp?  Because I want to send clean power to my other speakers to help them keep up with the Klipschorn mains.  

As for your last statement, after some reading, it appears most people cannot tell a difference in the processing quality between the older MRX720 and AVM60.  There are a few more features on the AVM but just sheer processing power, I'm not sure you could tell.  I want to be wrong though.

Food for thought.. I'll bet I could go into an HT enthusiasts theater and swap out his $5000 whatever processor for a Marantz receiver with similar outputs and he'd never know the difference.  Just a bet.  
@mahler123 I don't have a "poor" opinion of my speakers, it's just that they're inwall or placed in the rear corners behind my head rendering many audiophilly (my word don't use it) terms and qualities useless.  

@soix the amp is to offer more clean power to get the dynamics and volume needed from my other speakers to match the Khorn.  

I just read on some other forums that I consider a little less trustworthy than here about people not telling a difference between a decent receiver vs a decent processor if they're using the pre outs on the receiver.  

I said my front speakers are Khorns, the in-ceiling/rear are Episode and Klipsch RP600m (surround) which are MUCH less efficient than the front two.  Those are the ones I said I wanted the multichannel amp for.  

While it's very hard to a/b test any of this, I do feel the external amp offers a bit more dynamics and maybe separation but I'm not entirely convinced it's that great of a difference.  It certainly makes cranking the heights/rears much easier to match the big Khorn.

But one reason I'm looking at the Anthem is because I love most all of their products and use their STR preamp in my 2ch setup.  I love the ARC and also love the web interface option on the new units.  

I've found annoying quirks with every receiver I've owned (many Marantz's, Onkyo, and now a Marantz AV 7005 processor). 
If I had credible evidence I wouldn't have asked the question.  I would go denigrate other posters without providing evidence - as you have done. 

I'm looking/searching for credible evidence one way or the other.  That's what a forum is for.
@soix that wasn’t a defense. It was a response. Read the first sentence again.. If I had credible evidence to the answer then why do you suppose I would post this topic in the first place? 
Well, I said "I believe" meaning I didn't claim to know the absolute answer.  Came here looking for more information that could sway me either way. 

This all coming from a guy who recently asked if an iPhone/iPad is a good streamer source.  Admitting he didn't know the answer and was looking for confirmation.  Which by nature accuses manufacturers like Lumin, Auralic, PS Audio, Mytek, etc of ripping off the market and uncapable of making a streamer better than an iPhone. 

Take a hike.
Ok Karen. You don't know my "hodgepodge little system" nor does it matter.  You were looking for input on something you didn't know the answer to correct?  That's all I am doing.  

Good lord, has this chicken pecked anyone else's toes on here?

All those words and I still only have little evidence that an AVM is that much better than an MRX.  Better power suppy and better dacs.  That's great, but how important are the dacs and PS to my surround speakers?  Better separation?  I know the theory, but anyone with first hand knowledge between the two.  

Thank you for those of you who do have actual experience with this and chimed in.
I don’t get it, why are you guys fighting?

Me either and I'm the OP.  He basically threw shade that I would even ask the stupid question in the first place and said something about my crappy system.  I guess that's up for debate but, the question was never really answered.  What makes the AVM $1000 better than the MRX?  Especially when most movies are bloated soundtracks never meant to sound natural, flat, or whatever.  Why spend more on the dacs when the original signal is known to be over-processed in the first place?  Or am I totally wrong?  I'm not sure, which is why I posted.  I didn't want to argue but I also won't be bullied by a fool.

@ dmk_hifi I agree I think the original question is still relevant. My understanding is the AVM will use higher quality internals, most importantly the internal DACs will be much better.  

Now, given that, how much importance should be put on this for height, back, and surround speakers.  For 2 channel - absolutely!   But not sure how much this matters in the real world for other channels.

Some people here think the more you spend the better a product is and you're an idiot for thinking otherwise.
All you're saying is that things I've said are "unfounded ignorant BS"..  Fine, then educated me.  I asked the question to learn and got get solid evidence that there truly is a $1000 (or just some qualified difference) in the two. 

If you read on other forums, you'll find people who do NOT hear a difference. Sure, some people wouldn't hear a difference in a $50 speaker and a $5000 speaker, I get that.

And your best answer is to call the manufacturer? I, in fact, have spoken to Anthem.  The answer is that there are better internals and dacs.  However, I don't just believe that "better" from the manufacturer is always better at all. I knew it had different internals.
Omg dude go away!  You have done zero to answer the question.  And yes I have some ignorance here, that's why I asked the question in the first place.  But unsupported accusations and assertions?  You literally said this "hodgepodge little system" not having any idea what I own.  You're trying to system shame people now?  

Still haven't got a good answer from you.  I assume you don't know?  Have you ever even owned an anthem product?