New analog rig(t.t.,tonearm,phono drive)

My current analog rig is a Basis 2001 w/ fluid suspension/Rega RB900/Benz Micro Wood M2/McCormack Micro Phono Drive. I like the Basis 2001 but I want to upgrade several levels up. Basis themselves and 2 Basis dealers suggested getting the Vector 4 tonearm. While that is definitely a good recommendation, they also recommend adding the Calibrator Base.
I think the Basis motor is high torque. But, to get the Calibration Base and possibly the Cable Isolation System(around $3,000) along with the Vector 4($6,000) will cost around $9,000 total. With any substantial upgrade I do believe it is time to upgrade from my McCormack Micro Phono Drive as well....That is why I was considering the Vertere MG-1/SG-1/PHONO-1 rig as all of that, even with a tonearm wiring upgrade to hand built, is in the $10,000-$11,000 ballpark which is my budget for the upgrades. I am sure I can sell my Basis 2001/RB900/McCormack phono drive so maybe I could raise my budget a little.

Vertere design is very different than Basis as far metal(w/acrylic mat) vs. acrylic platter, recommendation of no use of a record clamp, motor on the plinth and
lack of suspension(I believe)...I have a 200+ pound Sound Anchors rack so suspension may be less a factor to consider?....Or I could use an isolation platform...And Vertere’s tonearm, while it looks like a uni pivot, Vertere says it definitely is not...

So, while I am open to any other gear, up for consideration is the Vertere MG-1/SG-1 w/ HB wiring/PHONO-1 for $10,000-$11,000 or The Calibrator Base/Cable Iso System, Vector 4, new phono drive for $10,000-$11,000. That just seems a lot to spend to upgrade a 2001.

I’ve never read a bad thing about Basis and my current system has served me well. And I’ve read very good things about Vertere; that this rig combination sounds incredible....But I value the opinions here.
I’ve read several posts from Basis owners but none regarding the U.K’s Vertere...Have any posters here looked into/heard about or own a Vertere system? All feedback is greatly appreciated.
vinylshadow
Thanks @jperry. As much as I want an upgraded new toy, I feel like I haven’t really tested the Basis yet.

The Basis rep wrote to me: "The Rega was one of the few stop gap products for Basis, so more customers could experience a Basis turntable, and it was designed so the Vector tonearm can be installed without any re-machining or adapter necessary to replace the Rega. Due to the 2001’s lower price and weight in the Basis lineup, many people do not realize that the 2001 and Vector are a worthy pair. The tonearm is really more important than the turntable if the turntable is of sufficient quality, which the 2001 is. The 2001 has incredible speed stability due to the well designed and carefully executed drive system (quality motor, precision ground belt, tight bearing and platter tolerances). The 2001 also has effective vibration isolation with the fluid damped suspension. And the Vector is amazing, eliminating mistracking, and achieving AJ’s goal of effortlessness in playback, so the music just flows. Unfortunately, too many tonearms are resonant and hard to listen to. A more forward, bright, peaky sound can be confused for detail, but it is not true detail. Basis products are aiming for the naturalness, ease, and low distortion of real music."

Question- Do you think it’s worth the $3,000 for the Calibrator Base($2700) and Cable Isolation System($300) with a Vector 4?..Would it make as much of a difference as I've been told? Or, put all that $ into the Vector 4 tonearm. Maybe saving up for the Superarm 9.........The Absolute Sound wrote this:" If you own a Basis turntable with a Vector ’arm, I can’t imagine a greater sonic upgrade than switching to the Superarm. If you are thinking about buying a Basis and a Vector ’arm, you should seriously consider stepping down a level in the Basis’ turntable line so that your budget can accommodate the Superarm."
Are you getting less out of a Vector 4 or Super Arm without the Calibrator Base? Lot’s to think about!
I agree with the Basis rep regarding the Vector tonearm and it is a great tonearm. I had personal experience with that upgrade and it might be the single largest improvement to my system ever.

I have not heard the Calibrator Base or Cable Isolation System so I really don't know how much improvement they will add to your system. All these things are additive, so I assume the other upgrades would result in an improvement, the question is how much, and I don't have an answer for other than the Vector. That improvement is massive. I have not heard the Superarm, so I don't really have an opinion on how much better it would be than the Vector. It seems like a lot of tonearm on the 2001 turntable, and you might want to spend some of that money on a great cartridge.

After the Basis Vector upgrade I went through a significant upgrade spiral brought on when I heard how much better my system sounded with the Vector tonearm. I have my system posted, although some of the pictures require updating. You can see it here  https://systems.audiogon.com/users/jperry

Best of luck with your audio journey

Jim Perry
Thanks @jperry That is high praise indeed for the Vector tonearm. "Massive" improvement is great!

How much more of an improvement is your Garrard 301 from the Basis 2001? 

I currently have a Benz Micro Wood M2 w/ Boron Cantilever($1600 new  I believe) that was recently serviced at VAS. It had around 50 hours of play on it and the stylus was slightly polished back to new.... The M2 was the previous model of the current ML wood models. 

I'll have to inquire about the Calibrator Base and see what kind of improvement it makes. 20% I wouldn't care. But 50% or more? I'll consider it. I'll write Basis again about it. And ask if they have any used Vector 4's that were traded for the Super Arm...But if they do recommend a $2700 Calibrator base which is just a machined acrylic plate for the pods to be stabilized in, I may be better off selling my 2001 and upgrading the table.

Your system looks great. I love the look of tube amps. I have Jeff Rowland Model 12 monoblocks for each of my JM Lab Mezzo Utopia speakers. The Ikeda tonearm looks to be slightly more $ than the Vector 4 so hopefully if I do go with the Vector, I'm happy for a long while..The Ikeda 9GSS must be amazing..And the Garrard 301. Wow. Nice.....If you are a member of Steve Hoffman's Forum, you can look up my profile information to see my whole system...

As good as it is, it may be time to replace my McCormack Micro Phono Drive if I upgrade to the Vector 4. Oh, the analog rabbit hole....
It sounds like you have a very nice system as well. I will look at it on the Steve Hoffman site.

I didn’t hear the Garrard in direct comparison with the Basis so hard to say. After the Basis I had a SME 10, which I made a great deal on and liked a little better. I also had a Gyrodec which didn’t sound as good, but was very beautiful. When I got the Garrard I sold the other two turntables, as I liked the Garrard more. The Garrard sounds big. Maybe all of the idler torque. The Ikeda tonearm and cartridge took it to another level, and all things considered they should have.

I agree with you that at some point the upgrades stop making sense and you may want to sell the 2001 and buy a different turntable. I usually try to do things one at a time so I can fully evaluate and understand the change made by each item.

Let me know if you are ever in Phoenix, AZ

Best Regards,

Jim Perry
Thank you for your offer Jim. I would LOVE to hear that analog rig. Wowser.
My feeling now is, at 60, I don’t want to go in stages. I’ve been spending months researching and educating myself. That is the biggest thing. But, I want to make the right purchase and then never even feel the need to consider another upgrade. And that includes the phono stage...All of my power, speaker and interconnect cables are very good. But when it’s time to re-tip the Benz Wood M2, maybe a new cartridge. But I need to give that Benz a good ride.

I have read nothing except admiration and adulation about the Garard’s.
I think if I was really going to go for it, I might consider the Oracle Delphi VI Classic. But at $10K+, I am wondering if there is a table close to that in characteristics and esthetics for 30% less. Once I sell my Basis 2001(and Reflex clamp?)/RB 900/McCormack Phono Drive after my upgrade, that will be a nice little refund I could retroactively apply to an upgrade......

I wrote to Basis to learn about the value of the Calibrating Base. But, I think you hit the nail on the head. I do not want to spend $9K on upgrading a 2001. And a Basis 2800 Signature Model is over $12K.

Once I get the soldering iron I ordered from Amazon and finish my soldering work of replacing a burned out tweeter diaphragm voice coil on one of my Mezzo’s, I’ll give my analog gear a good listen and evaluation.

In the meantime, I’ll keep researching. I don’t need the best. I just want a rig that is very accurate and neutral and sounds fantastic. Not as easy as it sounds.