New Amplifier: Bryston 4B ST or Pass Aleph 5

All:

I am thinking about revamping my system and am looking for something that can work with my Magnepan MG12s and can grow with me up the Magnepan line. I haven't thought much about pre-amps (except something like a Krell 300i, but I'm not sure how that would play with the larger Magnepans), but have started thinking about amps.

After much research on this website and others, I have found two amps that seem to be recommended more than others for Magnepans: the Bryston 4B ST and the Pass Labs Aleph 5. I'd probably also consider pre-amps from the same companies, as they seem to perform well and I like the idea of a matched amp and pre-amp.

What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards the Bryston myself. I'm definitely on a budget for the amp (under $1500) so I have already discounted the McIntoshs, Krells, of the world.

I listen to classical music (primarily instrumental, solo through small ensemble music) and currently prefer Kimber Kable interconnects and speaker wire and my Marantz CD63 KI, although these preferences could change if I was properly convinced. I am also relatively new into this realm of hi-fi.

Thanks!
mre2007

Showing 9 responses by mre2007

Thanks everyone.. However, I'm still wanting to know why I should go with a tube pre-amp? Is it due to the type of music I listen to, or my speakers, or is it just "a different sound"?
Dsremer:

Thanks for your reply. May I ask why you would suggest a tube pre-amp with the Bryston 4B/Magnepan combination? I have to admit I have never actually heard a tube pre-amp, so maybe this is something one must just hear to appreciate ;) Do you have a particular model to recommend? Do they require a lot of up-keep and maintaince? I'd really like to stay below $1000 for the pre amp, and I always assumed a tube pre would be cost prohibitive... but maybe not?!
Driver:

Thanks for your comments. Remember, that the Magnepans are 4 ohm speakers and perhaps that is why the Pass and Bryston are so often recommended paired together. I haven't seen many people running the Ayre amps with Magnepans, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good combination.

I have been doing a lot of research into some of the aspects you've mentioned and am compiling a list of "to-dos" that is growing quite large.
After doing a bit more research, will the Bryston 4B ST and the Audio Research LS-5 have impedance matching problems? They will used balanced connections between them, right? Also, it seems that the LS-5 mk2 might be a better match for the Magnepans. Anyone care to comment?

Finally, how often does one have to change out the tubes, and about how much can this cost (a range of values is fine).

These look like they might be a sweet combination that would support any movement up the Magnepan line and work well with my music tastes.

Thanks!
oops, perhaps I didn't mean the LS-5, as that's rather outside my budget ;)

I'd definitely like the following:
- balanced in/outs
- remote
- 12v trigger
- all tube gain stages throughout
- tube phono stage

Any takers under $1000? ;)
Okay, so I've narrowed down things a bit:

Sonic Frontiers Line 1
BAT VK-3i
ARC LS15
ARC LS16
ARC LS16 mk II
ARC LS22

(honestly, I'd like to narrow down to a single ARC choice, but I'm not sure which would be the most appropriate, as there are a lot of revisions)

I think I'm going to go ahead and choose the Bryston 4b ST, as I've heard it and really like the sound.

Also, remember I'll be powering Magnepan MG12s and listen to classical music exclusively (mainly instrumental, as well). I've decided that balanced in's and out's are the most important feature to me, as well as a remote.

I noticed that some of these pre-amps have more tubes than others. Is there a particular tube format that is especially desirable, or appropriate for my listening habits?

Thanks again everyone!
okay, we'll I've narrowed down more:

Sonic Frontiers Line 1
BAT VK-3*

Any help, recommendations, advise, etc...