New A/V Receiver - No Dedicated Phono Jack Input

Hi All. I have a series of questions if you'll bear with me, please.

First off, I have very bad hum coming from both of my turntables. They are both 20-25 feet away from my pre-amp and my current receiver so that is understandable. One combo is Signet TK7SU cartridge by Audio Technica on a HK-Rabco Straight Line Tracking Turntable. The other is a TK9E cartridge by Audio Technica on a Signet arm with a Thorens Turntable from the late 70s, early 80s, I believe.

First Questions: I have a vintage Mark Levinson phono preamp the JC-1. I long-ago left batteries in it and, of course, they leaked. I put two new D-Cell in after cleaning and scraping the contacts as best I could. The Test switch doesn't light up but I get a bit of a flicker of light when I switch to "on". Do you suppose that Mark Levinson might be able to get this operational after all this time? Should I spend the money or repairs, if available, or move on?

Second Questions: I have just ordered a new A/V receiver to replace my 10 year old Sony Audio Receiver. I noticed that there is no dedicate Phono Input and that shocked me! Now, if I buy a cartridge pre-amp, to solve my hum problem will that also allow me to use any of the RCA phono inputs on the new A/V receiver for the turntable? Or, do a need some type of dongle on a Left/Right phono input pair that connects to the cartridge pre-amp? I'd like to kill one bird with two stones.

Third Questions: Is there a cartridge pre-amp that can take inputs from two turntables and send one output to my pre-ampflier and the other output to my new A/V receiver? Should I just buy two cartridge pre-amps - one for each cartridge/turntable - and have them be dedicated?

Fourth Questions: I'd like the cost of the cartridge pre-amp to be around $100 per pre-amp and allow for clear, clean, natural sound if that is not impossible at this price range. Are most of these A/C powered? Battery operated (like my JC-1)? I'd prefer the later and being able to leave it "On" all the time but A/C powering is not a problem.

Fifth Questions: Given my challenges - the distance issue and the lack of dedicated phono jack on the new A/V Receiver, what might be some good cartridge pre-amp options and prices that you might suggest. I could, I suppose, pay more than $100 per cartridge pre-amp if I had to.

Thanks so much for any and all input!

Regards,
SNazz123
snazz123

Showing 1 response by snazz123

Hello Kr4 and Swampwalker. Thanks for your, ahem, input!

I may well have a tech check out the JC-1 for salvageability but, on the other hand, maybe I should start anew. Kr4 - I will definitely connect the long cable to the phono preamp output then on to the A/V Receiver. Actually, as I think about it more, I wanted one turntable to hook up to my pre-amp (that feeds to my vintage McIntosh 2205 power amp), and the other would go to my new A/V Receiver (both AFTER the phono preamp(s) are in place.

Swampwalker - Good advice on checking the JC-1 out. I found out from Mark Levinson (HK tech) today that they do not service these units as they don't have the parts and the modules are sealed anyway. Again, maybe I should just start anew with a modern phone preamp or two and just be done with it.

Thanks for your help and great insights Kr4 and Swampwalker!

SNazz123