Negotiate good price

I went to a dealer last week and listen to some really sweet pieces.  I was ready to throw down some coin but am confused about the dealers approach.  He comes in the room and says how is everyhting.  I say it is amazing this is just the sound I am looking for.  He says okay and leaves.  Comes back in 10 minutes and I am ready for hardball.  I sit back with my hands above my head in an inviting posture and say- can you beat prices that I see on Audiogon?  He says he will be right back- great i think he knows- I know my stuff.  Another guy comes in and says he needs to use the room for a client.  I say where is the other guy and he says he's on the phone.  So I wait in the lobby for 20 minutes and don't see anyone. I left my name on a paper and put it on the desk and ask him to call me with the best he can do on the system because I can buy some of it on AUdiomart.  I asked my wife and she thinks that's too hardball- maybe i should have lied and said I'm shopping around for best price.
Any info on how to speed pitch softballs?   
tubebuffer
The markup of audio gear is steep. The better model is direct sales and free returns. Most modern businesses have moved to this.  I understand you want to listen before you buy it. The stuff will sound different in your room. If someone sets up a service to demo stuff in your room pay them for the service it can be 20% of the price or a flat fee. 
Unless the selling price is already a terrific deal I usually ask the seller if there is any wiggle room on the price. I don't approach a seller with attitude or a take it or leave it proposition. They can either discount an item or not, thats their choice. I have had some very good experiences buying from retailers and private sellers by just being respectful and sincere and making a fair offer. 
You exemplify the low baller mentality. I'll post something on Audiogon for sale that was $4000.00  Price it for sale at $2000. half price then I get the Low Baller offers say a $1000.00 which is politely refused.. I'm sure you can guess the next thing is "what's you best price" my reply is always  "I'm not interested in negotiating against myself" Please make a realistic offer..That'll be the last I hear from that one.

And you do realize that the Dealer is selling you new gear with a warranty and Audiogon or USA Audio Mart are for the most part  individuals selling their Used Gear?
I agree with most of the respondents here. Your attitude that you are a "manly negotiator in a feminine hobby"  speaks volumes of the respect you offered the dealer and you got the response you deserved. 
Any decent salesperson would have asked, "What do you have in mind?"
This one might have been working for a dealer with lots of tire kickers.
My local store has Saturday's reserved for appointments.  I like the idea, because it keeps you out, so we can talk.