Need to vent tube heat?

We're building a house and I'm planning on a custom cabinet for the main stereo, which will be in the living room. When playing, cabinet doors will be open to display components.

System includes ARC REF 3, CD-7, VS-115 (possibly replaced by REF 110 or 210), SME 20/2, and phono preamp to be determined. These put off considerable heat, which is an issue given that I live in Texas.

Do you recommend that I use a fan/vent system to pull heat out? Would it make enough of a difference, in terms of AC costs, to vent the heat? I suppose it might also help with tube life.

I appreciate any advice.

chucktone

Showing 1 response by polk432

Instead of a custom rack, you could use a Salamander Design Archtype rack that is open all around, to let your entire system breath, also making it eaiser to dust. A 5.0 is about 39'' tall 23'' w 16'' d. Has 5 shelves, an can have a stacking kit to add more to it. I keep my tube preamp in it and my tube amp on the side on top of a 2.0 I would not put the amp on the bottom, or all of your components would get heat. On top may work if it is not too heavy, or you don't have a turntable on top. I had a Cary V12R in a 15 x 12 room that ran very hot and used it as a heater in the winter, so it would make a difference on your AC bill. I now have a much cooler running Cary CAD 120s and it'll raise the temp. in the room, but not as much. Keep all of your components cool and as dust free as possible, and enjoy your system. Another thing cool about these racks is that they completely adjustable, so you can have the right amount of clearance for taller components.