Need suggestions for a new amp 200Wpc

Own Plinius 100MkIII, Dynaudio Countour 3.3, Sony SACD-1 Sony TA-E90ES pre all inside 25'x16'x18' (full catedral ceiling)room. Need amp for better bass control, cleaner sound. Looking for an amp with 200wpc or more, in range of $4000-$5000 used! What do you think BEST will work with Dynaudio speakers?
susan66e51f

Showing 4 responses by after_hrs

I have recently become a huge fan of this company.
http://www.hometheatertalk.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/
Read this thread and then consider that the new AVA 220watt Fet-valve 550EXR is FAR better.
This amp has the transparency, authority, inner detail, dynamics, control, extension; flat from DC to 500k, pitch-perfect tonality, and a delicacy on par with 10K + amps. Unless you can't live without a big name on your rack, you'll not want to live with anything less. Au'natural. Absolutely vanishes...paid advertisement, not
Lets try that link again...

http://www.hometheatertalk.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000855.html
Actually not quite 10K. Over a whole weekend 1 month ago using a quicksilver linestage and driving some old (modded) Beveridge speakers that were absolutely beautiful sounding, myself and a few friends, one an industry writer, listened as the AVA 550EX was compared to these 3 amps and outperformed them in every area, except for the incredible transparency of the Reference Line was slightly better...maybe
Mark Levinson 336 $7K+
" 333 "
Reference Line silver signature $9K
All the wire used was custom made silver twisted pairs.

I have not heard comparisons with newer amps. Although I have read one audiophile sold his older Plinius amp when he compared it to an AVA 240 Omegastar amp ($899)
he purchased for his home theatre.

At 5K the Audio by Van Alstine 550 EXR would be competitive, IMO. At 2K I just shake my head and smile.
A small correction. The "compared to" amp prices are off.
I believe they are 333 $8500. The 336 $9500. and $7900.
I was'nt clear on power cords etc....the friend who owns most of the equipment is a eletrical engineer and DIY'r and built his own cable/wire. To clarify the 333 sounded pretty awesome, but we all agreed it seemed to inflate the scale. Many would like the effect because we all love staging, but the AVA just sounded more...right, again, subjectively more transparent. Most folks who don't know would just think were nuts because to listen to any of these amps, especially the ML 333, the Reference Line and the AVA is to be completely swept off your feet. The AVA 500EXR is absolutely unbeatable at 3 times the price. If sold through dealers it would retail for over 3K. Its performance is worth twice that. Not to forget they have a 30-day no questions asked full refund policy if NS, and awesome service if you are.