Need suggestions about replacing a Classe' 2200

I'm quite pleased with my Classe' Delta 2200 stereo amp, but an upgrade itch has started and I'm interested in hearing from people who have owned this amp and upgraded.

My current system consists of Thiel CS3.7 speakers (require minimum of 200 wpc, IMHO),conrad-johnson CT5 preamp (requires an amp with a minimum input impedance of 20k ohms)Meinter bidat, CEC TL5100 transport, Harmonic Tech wiring and Shunyata power cords and conditioning. This is a highly accurate and resolving system. My room is average sized (16feet wide, 17 feet deep)and a bit bright.

I've gotten mixed feedback from friends as to whether I'd actually hear a significant difference if I went to monoblocs. Normally, I let my own ears be the judge, but, frankly, flipping amps of this size is not something I relish doing much. I'd like a little bit of guidance based upon the EXPERIENCE of others.
vhiner

Showing 2 responses by vhiner

Kal,

Are you talking about the latest ones...because if you are, I'd have to win the lottery. My bad for not specifying price range. I can't afford anything that listed new for more than 10k. I could manage the CAM 400's, but I'd like to know whether they're dramatically better than the 2200 for my room and set up.
Sound guy,

After 18 years of listening to high end systems, I think I'll stick to what is the culmination of Jim Thiel's illustrious and well-documented career. The CS3.7's (they beat the 7.2's and I KNOW this from experience) are perfect for my room and my taste. I've listened to a large number of their closest competitors. To improve upon what I like about speakers, I'd have to reach well into the $20k plus stratosphere and it was hard enough for me to afford the 3.7's used. And, BTW, I never called it an upgrade "bug." It's a mere itch. lol. That said, I,too, am skeptical about the resulting "bang" from upgrading the amp, ergo the thread. If someone would bring over a pair of decent monoblocs to my house, I could sort this out in a jiffy. ;-)