need suggestion about pre-amp, price around $5,000

I am looking for a pre-amp to match my headphone and future speakers system. I have P70 cdt, dac wadia 64.4. Now i really want to buy a pre-amp to match my sr717+007a. I have a pair of speakers which is krell lat2. I like big 3d stage, clear, thick and smooth, detailed sound. My main music style is jazz and classics. Any recommendation you can give me? used price i can afford is around $5,000
vincentz819
Does the EAR 868 belong on this list? Dont see many positive comments about this product; but its in correct price range, has remote; balanced, etc...
I looked for a preamp for a fair amount of time and my short list was:
- AtmaSphere MP3
- Audio Valve Eklipse
- Herron VTSP2
- First Sound Presence
- Joule Electra LA150 MkIV (I think)
- Lamm LL2 Deluxe

So all tube units, and some more of a purist approach (Lamm, First Sound) and others with more bells and whistles (remote, XLR/RCA, etc). Even though I ended up buying the Lamm, I believe any of these would be pretty good in the dimensions you seek.

I hope this helps.
Clearly the Sanders Sound line stage is better than any of those listed, and you can listen for 30 days.
Used Wyetech Opal, if you can find one. A pre like no other -- fast, giant soundstage, deep taut bass, you would hardly know it was tubes except for the magic. They come up rarely on Audiogon; when one does, grab it; it won't last.

Neal
Aesthetix Calypso or Calypso Signiture are worth consideration. I have been pleased with the performance of my Calypso for more than 3 years. Lots of reviews available.
To be honest, I haven't heard any of these but based on reviews here and various audio publications these are on my short list. Just waiting for the economy to improve before I pull the trigger:

Audio Research Ref 3
Ayre K-1xe
Hovland HP-200
Conrad Johnson LS-16 (version 2)

I too have heard very good things about the Cary.
There was a Cary SLP 05 for about 4k used. It has a great headphone amp and for the 1k you did not spend you could buy a pretty good power cord to go with it. It is a fantastic sounding preamp, especially when running it in balanced mode.
You have some nice choices at that price, especially used. Klyne and Hovland come to my mind but there are lots more I haven't heard.

Your requirements are not so uncommon, so why not start by making a long list? Look at the ads and archives here, then see which items you can eliminate. When you are down to a short list, post again, there may be someone here whose specific experience applies.