Need SS preamp that sounds like tube .

I love the tube sound, but I don't necessarily want the tubes. I currently run a CJ PV12. Does anyone have any ideas? My main problem is that auditioning is limited in my area. I am pretty confident that the SS CJ stuff will sound tube-like. But I don't even think there is a dealer in my area. Some needed information: run a Bryston 4B-ST for power, Meridian 508.24 for CD, some PMC FB-1 monitors for speakers, silver Audioquest cable all around. I would like to keep the damage under 5K. As for auditions in my area, I can probably find Bryston, Audio Research, Aragon, Meridian. Oh, I'm sure these stores are authorized dealers for a lot of stuff, but they don't carry some of the pricy brands in stock or as demo. Help would be appreciated.
argent

Showing 2 responses by caterham1700

It's my opinion that any attempts to mimmick valves in ss devices is doomed to failure.
In every instance that I am aware ,the approach has been to capture the "warmth" and "romance" by manipulation of the components frequency response characteristics by rolling the upper octaves or to slow and roll rise/response time leaving an highly altered signal shape which is,in the long haul unsatisfactory at capturing the emotion,spirit and intent of the performance.
I think it better to find a warmish SS amp with low levels of grain and capitalise on what SS does well(ex-speed,attack and rhythmic qualities).
Another approach that imo yields better results is to tailor the presentation by using a SS pre and couple it to an authoratative and dynamic valve amplifier.
To my ears,Valve pre's coupled to SS ampification(hybrid pre's as well)exhibit the worst of both worlds.
Best,
Ken
PRaT stands for Pace,Rhythm and Timing-the fundamental temporal qualities of music reproduction that somehow never featured in the lexicon of Holt and Pearson.

Best,Ken
(a middle earther)