Need Small Bookshelf Speakers With a Big Sound

Good morning.  I have been out of any kind of audiophile circles for a long time.  We moved into a house with built-in speakers about 5 years ago, which I really enjoy, but of course it's better for casual listening at a party than for quality listening.  Our family room is in a pretty open space that borders our living room and kitchen, so my wife is very focused on speakers being unobtrusive in appearance.  I was therefor looking for small speakers and got turned onto KEF LS50s, which sounded really nice for the price, and more than good enough for my desires.  And they are small.  But I didn't really focus on their "untraditional" looks.  It turns out that was a deal-breaker when I brought them home to demo.

So, I am back to square one.  What I would really like is a speaker that is about the size of the LS50s, or maybe a little bigger, and has a nice looking, traditional wood finish.  Bright colors and artificial surfaces, no matter how good they sound, need not apply...

I would say my self-imposed budget is around $2,000 at the top.  Unless new speakers leads me down the audiophile slippery slope, the speakers would be powered by my old Adcom 545 II amp and GTP 500 II tuner, with either an Adcom CD changer or Apple TV streaming the music.  Not exactly Audiogon Best In Class, but I think it will bring a smile to my face.  And you never know if this will lead to upgrading the whole shebang.

Any thoughts appreciated.  Not that it matters, but I am in the Chicagoland area.
chiguy
"Check out the Harbeth P3ESR or the Spendor 3/5r2. I have owned and enjoyed both ! The fit and finish on the Harbeth's are outstanding!"

and then

"Forget the speakers that I recommended, not for the type of music you listen to!!"

Are you sure they wouldn't be appropriate for rock music?  They looked nice online and got very good reviews.

If you really dig through all the P3ESR reviews as I have you will find several references from listeners who have stated they just don’t rock...IMO based on fit & finish/price ratio they are also WAY overpriced when compared side by side with the Dynaudio’s!!!
You might want to consider the Gallo CL-2 from the Classico line.  It looks like the Classicos (which meet your decor requirements) might have laid an egg commercially.  Gallo dropped the prices a fair bit and Underwood HiFi was discounting them, too.  Last I looked, they were under $1k per pair.

The key here is the very wide dispersion Gallo tweeter, which gives their so-equipped models something of an omnidirectional feel.  It's got a 5 1/4" ish woofer in a ported box, so bass isn't going to shake the walls, but it's satisfyingly full.  

If you want big sound from a small speaker, this may be a good choice.