Need Recommendations for a pair of Speakers around $1,000

Hey All !

Ok, so with wife is good with spending about $1K on a pair of speakers.

I'm not sure of the preamp yet but the amp will most likely be an Adcom GFA-545 not the 545II.

I now have an older pair of Dayton Wright LCM-1's which are more suited to a smaller room.

The new speakers will be in the living room connected to the Adcom and also a signal fed from the TV but I don't want a multi-speaker system. Stereo is fine and if they sound good to me with music the wife will be happy with the TV sound. She just wants them to look good and not have a lot of wires hanging around. We'll be listening to vinyl, CD's, Lossless, FM and possibly music fed through Apple or AT&T fiber optic TV setup.

The living room is 19' w X  29' d with a 12' ceiling, hardwood oak flooring and 4 - 6' tall windows on one wall. The other side wall is open to a long entrance way and 2/3 of the far side is open to the kitchen are.

I thought about a used pair of Klipsch Hersey's but I keep reading comments that they are too outdated compared to advances in audio over the last few decades.

So for around $1K what are some good choices. I'm OK with used.

Thank you !

gorquin

You should probably define what you want them to Sound like, what type of music you listen to most often, and how loud do you want to turn them up.  Also, how large can the boxes (cabinets) be and still be acceptable?

You are going to get a hundred suggestions, ha!

Used is a good idea, because number of people that want full sized stereo is dwindling.  Perhaps search on Craigslist near you or Searchtempest for the whole country.  I recently missed an originally $6000 speakers for $800 because I reacted too slow.  For craigslist, sort by highest price first, then research some online reviews for whatever you find that looks good.

I recently bought a pair of Thiel CS 2_2 for $650.  Finished on all sides, wires connect under the bottom.  High quality light oak real wood veneer.

Caveats - a couple chips out of veneer on top of one.  Too heavy too ship.  Perhaps too old fashioned, unless you have Danish mid century furniture, ha! (a simple tall rectangle with front cut off to form a slope).  This is not a sale listing, just giving you an idea of what you could find on Craigslist.

If you are concerned about being up to date, there are several companies coming out with amplified speakers that also include room correction processing.  This is where the future might be heading.

Good luck!

You could also consider biting the bullet now, skipping the Heresy idea, and going with active speakers with 8" woofers. 

I would question the combination of the Adcom GFA-545 and Thiels.  From experience I found that Adcom to be a somewhat forward sounding amp.  And although I have never heard Thiels, I have often read that proper system matching is necessary to prevent their having too forward (tipped up) a sound signature.

Thinking that the combination may be too much of a good thing.

Sonus faber lumina 1....gorgeous speakers, small, but sound big, great with both music and movies. I think the wife factor would be very very high. Made in Italy, $899.

When I listen to music it's Classic Rock, acoustic guitar and vocals, older R&B, Jazz, Classical.... a real mix.

The speakers would be in between two short 2' deep walls that separate the LR from 2 hallways. The stereo area would be 9' wide with about 30" available for speakers on each side of a cabinet.