Need phono preamp advice...

Hello -

My relatively new receiver - the Anthem MRX 500 - requires I get a phono preamp if I want to listen to my old records.

I need advice on a decent preamp for under $100 (don't listen to the LPs all that often but often enough and I don't want it too quiet sounding or loud buzzing, etc...just want some decent clarity.

I don't know if the Anthem requires a certain kind of preamp but I know that my turntable - a Technics Quartz Direct Drive Automatic Turntable SL-QD33 - is the magnetic kind as opposed to coil (?) - if that helps!

At first I was going to get the little red one for $50 (Rolls, maybe it's called) but then I read there are some that produce a noticeably improved sound for only about $50 more. I think I remember reading Cambridge Audio has a good one...as well as Zphono and Art Phono Plus (although the latter's excellent reviews might have more to do with the fact that it makes a good digital recording as opposed to just sounding good when listening to a record while you dance around in your underwear, I don't know).

Advice would be most appreciated! Thanks!
aria

Showing 1 response by wilson667

I just picked up a used Cambridge Audio 640p for $100 + shipping.It sounds fantastic and does both mm and mc. A note if you don't need mc you can definitely pick up a used Cambridge Audio 540p for under a $100 in fact there is one for sale now for $70 here on audiogon. Ebay has the 640p listed at a buy it now price of $120