Need Opinions on center channel speaker....

I am looking for a center channel that will mate well with Innersound Eros MKII Electrostats.
Innersound makes no center speaker offerings, so it is not possible to match, my choices are limited by budget, and I want to get the best speaker that will blend with fronts.
Magnepan offers a center that is cheap, I only know of one member who has the "MGM C" at $300.00 new it is atractive in price but I am worried about its low end roll off of 100HZ, being that it is a planar it seems that it should produce a similar sound for HT, I seldom listen to multi channel audio, I am a firm 2 channel fan.
The member who has this speaker is more into audio than HT as we all are, but I do want to enjoy movies when I choose to watch them, I have also thought perhaps a center with cones and a ribbon center may be a good choice as well, I also would surely benefit from better low end extension, I did watch "league of extraordinary gentlemen" with the center rolled off at 100HZ and didnt really mind it so perhaps I have answered my own question about the roll off issue, so now I am asking if anyone has ideas of a better speaker for $400 or less new or used, this is going to be a birthday gift and that was the budget I was told I could shop within (I am too broke to buy one on my own)...boo hoo yea I know lol.
I have looked into Boehlender Graebener (sp) Z5 ribbon tweeter center, also a Mirage OmniCC1, and various used centers trying to find that ribbon tweeter.
So after I have rambled do you guys think the Maggie MGMc is a good choice or any ideas? please lend a hand here as this is gonna have to be best for the buck decision. I do watch TV with center for casual veiwing and between HBO and DVD I like a good movie once or twice a week.
As always thank you guys for your help and I value all opinions.
chadnliz

Showing 2 responses by noble100

Chadnliz,

I've become a firm believer in matching the right, left and center speakers in terms of type and quality. I switched from a cone center to a planar to match my fronts and enjoy the soundtracks more than some of the movies. The speakers seem to disappear on good soundtracks. I would hold off and save up for a center that matches the excellent quality and the type of your fronts - Martin Logan? Also, you can set the center for "small" and this allows your fronts and sub to take over on the bass for center channel information.

Macdadtexas,
I agree with getting what you like. My main point is that, in my experience, getting the same type and quality makes the sound more cohesive. There's a distinct sound to speakers, especially cones vs planars or electrostatics. The more similar the speakers the more they sound alike. And I think the resulting cohesiveness in tone and dynamics makes for better sound.
Chadnliz's system would probably sound best in HT with 3 Innersounds but that's not very practical or economical, which is of concern for him (them?).
By the way, I added a CC3 (with Magnepan 2.7s) and they work great together for HT. But all 3 need to be out from the walls to sound their best.