Need Help with Motor/Battery for Teres 340

First , I haven’t been around for awhile due to health problems which caused my system to sit idle for a couple years. I’d turn on the TT every now and then but chronic headaches had me sidelined. I’ve been listening again for nearly a month. I noticed a drop in speed during playback of my TT. This was sporadic but bothersome. The problem was described in the Teres manual as one of a mechanical nature. Grit in the bearing was the probable diagnosis. However it also indicated to check the battery. It is a battery drive TT.

So, I checked the charger and it is putting out the 13.75v as necessary. Checked the battery with the charger off. It did not drop below 12v. The lowest reading was 12.86 with motor running. So, it sounds like battery is fine. Must be grit in the bearing. However, the platter spins very smoothly and for a long time. Sure, this is not definitive.

I figured I’d deal with the problem in a few days. However yesterday (the day after I had removed & replaced the lead from the battery to check the voltage) I noticed an anomaly I hadn’t noticed before. The red and green light on the motor flash on and off very quickly. This happens in a pattern with a count of 10-11 seconds. I’ve just counted the time intervals rather than use any instrument for counting. . And it is consistent every 10-11 seconds. The flash is very quick or brief.  It is consistent.

I didn’t see this flashing take place before nor while I was checking the battery voltage. I’m usually pretty aware of what is taking place around me (though its possible I had not noticed it before). The manual says the battery life is 3-5 yrs. I suspect I am pushing that. I just made a new belt for it (DIY holographic Mylar). It’s a little shorter than previous belt but I can’t imagine this causing a slippage problem causing the slow down in music while playing. Besides, these lights are flashing without the motor running or the platter spinning. I haven’t had opportunity to play any vinyl since this new flashing light  phenom. But even if it plays fine now, the flashing indicates some kind of problem which needs to be addressed IMO.

I’ll deal with the replacement of the oil in the bearing if necessary. But my problem now with the flashing lights is one of an electronic nature. Even though the battery checks out with the meter, its still old. The TT sat which also causes problems. So I think the problem is with the battery rather than the motor or sensor. So I think installing a new battery is the 1st thing to do.

Unfortunately Teres is out of business and afaik does not offer tech service.....at least there is no mention on the website. I haven’t tried to contact Chris Brady. If anyone knows whether he still offers service, etc, I’d appreciate that info. So I feel a little vulnerable here. I know there are some posters here who are knowledgeable of the Teres TT and may be able to help me out. Doug Deacon comes to mind. And maybe Chris Brady is listening too. Any info would be much appreciated
Thanks
art
128x128artemus_5

Showing 3 responses by lak

If it’s not a broken or disconnected wire and you can’t solve the problem you might try messaging Audiogon members dougdeacon or lewm, they might be able to offer assistance.
@artemus_5 as I'm sure you know there are many others on Audiogon that still use the Teres TT etc, that might be able to assist you.
I do own the 340 however I mine came with the Verus Rim Drive.
Please let us know what you find out regarding the issue.