Need help with finding a new phono stage.

I just got my SOTA TT back from being upgraded from a Star to a Nova. Now I need to work on getting a new phono stage. I currently have a Cary PH-301 that has served me well for years but I'm looking for a phono stage where I can adjust the gain, impedance and preferably the capacitance as well. I have mounted a new Benz M2 wood body MC cartridge (0.8mV) on the Kuzma Stogi tonearm. According to the papers the recommended load is 200 - 47k ohms. I don't see a figure for the capacitance. My Cary has a swicth on the back to go from MC to MM (60db/42db), and says the impedance is adjustable (MC only, 10k - 68k, MM fixed at 47k) but the manual does not instruct how to do this.

Any suggestions for a new or used phono stage in the $1500 price range. I prefer tubes but could go solid state. If anyone also knows what impedance level would be best between 200 - 47k ohms and what the capacitance on my Benz cartridge I'd appreciate knowing that as well.

Thanks
clio09

Showing 1 response by jalanc42069

Why not try some Trannies, no not that kind, step up transformers, I have the Lundahl step up trans. kit($250., nice 4 price)), but think the Bent Audio MU dual mono trannies are the ultimate especially for $825. Continuous cast copper wound trannies directly terminated to Bullet rcas, no toggles ot dip switches for your sound to go through, adjustable with a resistor mounted externally on each tran. with little binding posts making it easy to try different values and even different brands of resistors!, talk about extreme fine tuning! If you are happy with the Cary, set it for MM, and set up the trannies for your cartridge. Check it out.