Need help with a Tube Preamp under $3000

Hello, I have a Bryston 3BST 2 channel amp, connected with Bryston XLR cables to a BP20 Bryston Pre amp. Today the majority of my music listening is with a Wadia itransport (coaxial) and a DAC majic by Cambridge Audio (XLR). Before buying my Maggies I had heard the Magnepan 1.6QR being played through on a Vintage CJ tube preamp & Sansui Solid state receiver. I absolutely loved the warmth of the music even with my ipod as the source hooked up through an RCA cable from the headset Jack. I would like a big sound stage for my Classical, Jazz, Movie Soundtracks and Opera listening pleasures. So what would be a good match for Bryston and a Tube Pre amp and my Magnepan speakers. My system is also connected to a Martin Logan Abyss Subwoofer for some added bass beyond the 1.6QR range of 40Hz.Nordost Speaker wires.

What would you folks recommend as NEW Tube Preamp around $3000 ???
birdiewins

Showing 1 response by paul2240

Take a long look at the Audio Space Line-2. I went through several pre's after hooking up my Maggies until I landed on this one. It is an absolute game-changer. I ran the stock tubes for quite a while with no complaints. I then changed over to some tung sols and so no appreciable improvement. Last week went to some NOS Mullards and Siemens.....minor improvement (verdict: the units sounds excellent out of the box!). Regardless of what you do, you must demo in your system....way too many variables to say what sounds best in your system. For those interested in why I like it so much: Of all the pre's I tried, it had the best combo of gain and detail but not harsh. It was also the quietest pre I demo'ed at any price. An absolute black background, with an immediacy that can actually startle some people.