Need help setting overhang on the Technics SL-1200

Recently I picked up a Technics SL-1200 and have mounted a Shure M97XE cartridge. I am curious if the white plastic overhang guage that comes with the SL-1200 is truely accurate; my ears seem to tell me the cartridge sounds better moved further out toward the tip of the headshell (presently I have it out as far as it goes). Also I am wondering what the ideal tracking force for the M97 is and how high the rear of the arm should be set for the VTA (between 0mm and 6mm). Your thoughts would be appreciated.
bobgates

Showing 4 responses by johnnyb53

01-24-09: Tvad
The Technics white plastic jig does is not accurate. It does not allow for cantilever alignment, nor is the overhang optimal when one compares the results to that of the MintLP or this Technics arm protractor downloadable from The Vinyl Engine (scroll down the page). Be sure to download the instructions as well.
I've had my SL1210 M5G for nearly two years now. I started with the plastic jig and an M97xE and go OK results, but I've since moved to the Vinyl Engine protractor referenced by Tvad and I've been *really* happy with the results, both with a Denon DL-160 and my current cart, an Audio Technica AT150MLX (a superb match w/the Technics, btw).

I also agree that VTA is best adjusted by starting with the tonearm on a record eyeballed to horizontal, and then adjust VTA on the fly until you dial in your optimum sound. Use a variety of music to get a good average setting. What gives you the most vivid cymbal crashes may not be the same height that gives most satisfying female vocals.
01-26-09: Bobgates
Johnny53 - thanks for your comments. I liked the results obtained from the Vinyl Engine protractor also. I will definitely give the Audio Technica AT150MLX a listen.
Although the purchase prices are only about $150 apart, the AT 150MLX is definitely in an entirely different ballpark. Whereas the M97xE is a serviceable, "do no harm" entry-level cartridge, the AT150MLX gives you A LOT of what prompts people to spend big bucks for in the high end. It's better in every way--faster, tracks way better, more linear, more extended, more inner detail, more separation, more articulate, more musical.

If I had it to do over again, I would have started with an AT150MLX mounted on an LPGear ZuPreme headshell. It would have saved me the intermediate steps of the M97xE and Denon DL-160, both of which are utterly left in the dust by the AT150MLX. And replacement stylii are only $179.95 (same price as a DL-160) from LPGear.
01-29-09: Bobgates
Johnnyb53 - I'll have to try the Audio-Technica 150 MLX. Have you compared it to the Ortofon 2M Bronze, which falls in the same price catagory? Thanks. Bob
No, I haven't heard the 2M Bronze. The two cartridges are in the same price category if you order from Needle Doctor or many other places, but you can get the AT 150MLX for $249.99 SHIPPED from J&R Music World here. Furthermore, you can get the replacement stylus for $179.95 from LPGear here. I don't think anything else comes close at that cost of purchase or stylus replacement. The AT 150MLX was designed to compete in the $400-500 range, and I suspect it still does, but at $250 it's a no-brainer.

Internally the AT 150MLX is wired wtih high purity single-crystal HPOCC copper, making it very fast, transparent, and smooth. The stylus is a Micro-Line (MLX), very similar if not identical to the Micro-Ridge stylus of the last, discontinued Shure V15VxMR cartridges. This stylus shape hits the unworn portions of the groove and the AT stylus is very nicely polished from what I've read.
Bob, thanks for the info. Given the way the 2M Black has re-defined the price/performance ratio at $599, it doesn't surprise me that the same cartridge engine with a different stylus (Fritz-Geiger, I think) would do the same thing at around the $389 price point.