Need help on cartridge recommendation, under 500.

I've been a long time fan & user of the excellent Audio-Technica AT-ML170 moving mag. cartridge, but...what else, am searching for perhaps more detail & smoother mids?

I'm currently using a Well Tempered "Classic" (latest version) with the outstanding B.A.K. P5 all tube phono stage.

Any & all recommendations for moving coil/magnet under $500. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
denf

Showing 1 response by a_e_watkins

Hi Denf,

I have always been fond of the entire Grado line, but you were asking about the ClearAudio Aurum Beta, I have the current Aurum Beta (S) and I love it.

To begin, the bass is very pronounced (not boomy) but very detailed with strong, quick attacks. The channel separation is extraordinary. It doesn’t accentuate any portion of the audio spectrum over any other, nor does it emphasize any group of instruments over any others.

However, the final glorious revelation comes from the layers and layers of beautiful, clear music, which this unit seems to dig down deep and reveal; this is particularly evident in large orchestra and choral works.

Just a great cartridge for the money.

Regards, and good luck

AEW