Need help. Music server and streaming. Newbie.

Still pretty new to streaming....considering what I currently have, which way do I need to go?

I currently have a desktop computer in a room adjacent to the room of my main system.

I want to start eliminating cds and sacds from the main system room.

so, I want some type of server in main system or streaming from my desktop.

I have an Oppo UDP-205 that does some streaming. Not sure it’s capabilities. I have an iPad.

Without running an ethernet cable between rooms, can I get at least cd-quality sound to stream music from my desktop to main system over wifi with a network player?

I had been looking at music servers like the Sony HAP-Z1es or Blusound Vault 2i that would store everything....and I was leaning toward these.

Or do I need to look into a laptop computer and dac setup? (I don’t currently have any laptop).

Also Trying to keep cost under $2k.

Thanks for any input...
foeraus

Showing 1 response by mahler123

Your Oppo can be used as a streamer using the Network Tab.  I would start there, since you already own it.  It isn’t the most elegant streamer, but it gets the job done.  What it doesn’t do is Internet Radio or Tidal/Qobuz, the two streaming services that do CD quality or better.  The 205 has a very good DAC so you don’t need to buy a new one
  You need a HD to connect to the Oppo.  Something like a 1TB Western Electric Drive can be directly connected via the Oppo usb input so you don’t have to worry about WiFi vs Ethernet.  Alternatively you could connect a laptop and use the HD of the laptop and use the laptop for streaming sources and internet radio.
You will need to convert your CDs to whatever HD you choose, and that is a whole different topic