Need help from Pass X-600 + ARC Ref 2 MK1 user

I am matching Pass X-600 with ARC Ref 2 (MK1) and encountering a strange hum issue. I have tried couple combinations and it seems like the hum is coming from only X-600 + Ref 2. X-600 and Ref 2 do not seem to have any problem individually. Following are the combinations that I have tried and they show no hum at all.

1. X-600 + Pass Aleph P
2. X-600 + Wadia 861 (using build-in preamp)
3. Mark Levison 331 + Ref 2

I have also tried couple power conditioners and even power regenerator, but the hum still. I was told the hum might be from power & preamp impedance mismatched. However, it shows pretty healthy from the specifications. Any comments on this will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
jshaw1004

Showing 2 responses by cytocycle

Does it humm out the speakers or is it a mechanical hum from the transformer of the amps?

Are you using balanced cables?
If it humms out the speakers it's a ground issue, I tried a hummbuster also and it didn't work for me so it's not a huge DC problem. The Pass's already have a DC filter built in.

Have you tried the preamp at someone else's house to see if the transformer humm problem or an interaction/power/ground problem. ARC has great support.

Try floating the ground on the CDP, and then preamp , and then break the ground on one of the amplifier monoblocks (not both).