Need Help finding Speakers Budget 20,000 US

Hi All

Firstly let me give my room Specification:

8 Meters by 8 Meters. Height of the room is 3.2 Meters.

Acoustic Panels everywhere around the room. Its pretty dead.

Amplifiers:

Clayton M300 Mono Blocks
Bob Carver Black Beauty

Pre-Amp
Purity Audio Ultra 2 Series
DAC (Need to get one)
CD Player Oppo 95 Modified.

Budget 20,000 US.

I don’t live in USA so difficult to try out some of the US brands.

I am interested in:

Salk Sound Scape 12
Tannoy Kingdom Royal
B&W 800 or 802 N
Evolution Acoustics not sure which model as the company never responds to emails nor does there dealers.
Daedalus Audio
YBL
Ushers

Any other recommendation to go by?

I listen to Allot of Movie Sound Tracks, Classical Epic Music, Sometimes Pop Rock And hip hop. Down tempo, Chill out and Jazz.
dragon_vibe

Showing 4 responses by pbnaudio

Ren,

That's the power of advertising, it's also easier to sell the hyped up brands in the first place, when they are new. Then the question that has to be asked is: Are you buying the product for the purpose of reselling it or are you buying it to enjoy music?

Good Listening,

Peter
Dave,

TAD definitely is a very nice product and probably one I would own my self if i did not make my own. Have now for almost 22 years, PBN Audio was founded April 1992.

David,

Manufacturing in the US is very expensive, only surpassed by Northern Europe. It cost a lot of money to run a operation like the typical Loudspeaker / Amplifier producer we are talking about here. Parts cost, if one is to run a profitable operation is typically 20% of retail. Where does the rest go ? If one sells international distributors in foreign countries are typically invoiced with a 60% discount to allow for their costs of distribution. The foreign dealer need to make money too to cover the cost of their operation.

Before the internet with its transparency products could carry a much higher cost abroad to cover the associated costs, but nowadays its very easy for a, lets say Frenchman, to find the retail price of a product in its home land and he typically will not accept to pay a much higher price there. The only way to get around that issue is to make a global price for a product, therefor the product in its homeland becomes more expensive.

Domestic dealers typically are invoiced with a 40 to 50% discount of retail, they too need to cover costs of operations

Jp,

No I have not , but why take that up with me ? Luvs2listen seems to be the one to handle your concerns regarding this.

Good Listening

Peter
Dave,

Every one has an opinion, agreed that large companies like the ones that you mention have almost unlimited R&D funds, however the large business model is driven by numbers ONLY, if the profit is not there that division gets nixed. Even if the company is large it too can fail, GM rings a bell ?

Now consider the fact that If you buy from a smaller company you buy product that is made with passion, not by an hourly worker that's thinking about what to do after work or next weekend. We too of course have workers, but the owner usually is hands on all the way making sure that the product that goes out the door is A+1 because it has his name on it.

A few years back I was quoting a very large system to a local customer via my local dealer. I got part of the bid but not all, the client went with a different make of amplifier that the one we make, reason given was exactly the one yo state, large company that was not likely to go out of business any time soon and that if repairs were needed in the future then the network would be there to facilitate such.

Fast forward a year or so, the amplifier company had almost failed but been saved by the bell with a buy out form a investment company, also 3 of the 5 amplifiers had failed and were in need of a new power supply board - guess whom stepped in to help with the repairs upon request from my local dealer to avoid the substantial shipping cost of 3 ea 200 lbs amps to the east coast plus a downtime of several weeks ?

You get my point I'm sure.

Good Listening

Peter