Need Help finding Speakers Budget 20,000 US

Hi All

Firstly let me give my room Specification:

8 Meters by 8 Meters. Height of the room is 3.2 Meters.

Acoustic Panels everywhere around the room. Its pretty dead.

Amplifiers:

Clayton M300 Mono Blocks
Bob Carver Black Beauty

Pre-Amp
Purity Audio Ultra 2 Series
DAC (Need to get one)
CD Player Oppo 95 Modified.

Budget 20,000 US.

I don’t live in USA so difficult to try out some of the US brands.

I am interested in:

Salk Sound Scape 12
Tannoy Kingdom Royal
B&W 800 or 802 N
Evolution Acoustics not sure which model as the company never responds to emails nor does there dealers.
Daedalus Audio
YBL
Ushers

Any other recommendation to go by?

I listen to Allot of Movie Sound Tracks, Classical Epic Music, Sometimes Pop Rock And hip hop. Down tempo, Chill out and Jazz.
dragon_vibe

Showing 1 response by dodgealum

I haven't heard them all but of those I've heard the speakers on your short list are all over the map sonically. We might be able to guide you better if you tell us what you are after sonically in addition to your music preferences. Have you auditioned any/many of the speakers on your list or is it based primarily on what you have read about these models here and elsewhere? As someone said above, speakers are such a personal preference since we all hear differently, respond differently to sound, have different rooms, equipment etc. If you are going to lay out that kind of money you really need to do some listening to get down to a few models that really float your boat. Of course, you already have some very fine equipment so maybe I'm not telling you something you don't already know.....Beyond that, the only comment I would venture has to do with your room--it is big, it is square and it is damped. Big suggests a larger speaker system that will have no difficulty filling and pressurizing the void. So, something like the Daedalus Ulysses or Argos with Lou's BOW system would likely do the trick. Your room is also square, which can present some problems. You may want to explore something that gives you some adjustment capability in the bass to account for standing wave and other issues that can occur in a square room--the Vandersteen 5A comes to mind. As for all the damping--is this really necessary? What are you using currently that has caused you to apply so much acoustical treatment? Are you looking to address the squareness issue? The reason I ask is that if you are wedded to the acoustical treatments then this absolutely mandates an in home audition of any speaker you are considering, since it is highly unlikely that the speaker will sound the same as it did during your store or show demo and you may be disappointed once you get your final choice set up in your room. Again, Daedalus (and probably some others) will provide a trial purchase so that may be of importance to you.

Best of luck with your search.