Need help buying new speaker cable

My Tara Labs Apollo speaker cable broke at the negative terminal end.  I will need to replace them.  What cables would you recommend?  I would like to know what cables out there would be comparable.  I would like to upgrade but they need to be affordable. A local dealer recommended Audioquest Robin Hood’s but they cost $2,000.  I just can’t spend that much money.  I am looking at Audioquest Rocket 88’s for $1,150.  Any ideas?  I would also like to know what the sound difference be compared to my Appolo’s?  I still have a difficult time you can hear a sound difference between one cable and another.  
128x128larry5729

Showing 13 responses by larry5729

Sure appreciate the help.  I just got off the phone with Tara Labs and they told me it would only cost $60 per end to replace the Y-Shaped speaker wire terminals.  Since I have had difficulty with connectivity issues, I might go this route.  The guy from Tara Labs told me my Apollo's are high quality speaker cable.  I have problems trying to keep their hollow banana plugs from working themselves loose.  I wonder if they could terminate the ends using Sure Grip banana plugs.  Someone told me these are spring loaded and they will fit firmer than the hollow banana plugs I am currently using.  The problem is when I push my cabinet back towards the back wall the left banana plug works itself loose.  Will these Sure Grip banana plugs stay on?
My ARCAM is not designed to accept spades.  If it could accept spades, I would have used them years ago.  I use spades at the speaker end.
I am currently using the Tara Labs hollow banana plugs.  The problem is, is when I push my cabinet back towards the back wall, I lose a connection on my left speaker.  I wonder if anyone has experience using Sure Grip banana plugs?  They are made of solid metal and according to a dealer I talked to they are spring loaded.  He said these hold firmer and they would be less likely to work themselves loose.
Tara Labs told me it would only cost $60 per cable to repair my cables with a 2 week turn around.  I was just wondering is this the time to consider upgrading my speaker cable?
x5owner1,
The problem I have is Tara Labs finishes their terminals with threaded ends.  So, unless these locking banana plugs have male threaded ends to screw into the female threaded end of the wire, they won't work.

The primary reason why I am looking for new speaker cables is the hollow banana plugs I am using work themselves loose.  Some of the higher end cables are terminated with Sure Grip banana plugs.  These are solid metal with a built in spring and they claim they hold tighter.  I wonder if anyone has experience using these?
cdamiller5,  I have only heard the speaker cables my dealer sold to me when I purchased my system.  As a result, I have not heard how other cables sound.
dsper,,

It is pretty obvious you don't believe hi higher quality speaker cable.  Do you use lamp card to wire your speakers on you system?

My Tara Labs have stranded rather than solid metal in their construction.  Guy at Audioquest told me their Robin Hood's will change the sound of my system.  He seemed to be knowledgeable and truthful.  My speaker manufacture told me the same.
I talked directly with Audioquest and he said bi-wiring sounds much better.  Then I watched a video produced by Paul at PS Audio and said with the quality of speaker wire today there is no need to bi-wire.  He said he doesn’t bi-wire.  He did say he blind tested speaker wires and said he was blown away when he heard a pair of higher end speaker wires.  He was startled and literally blown away.  Up until then he was not a believer.  I get confused.  Some people swear expensive cables are worth it and others are not.
It looks like the majority say repair my TARA LABS APOLLO cables.  I think most feel there isn't much of difference in sound between cables?  Problem is, I have not heard anything but what I have been using in my system to compare.  Might find some loaners to audition.
Thanks to everyone for your input.

the reason I thought about upgrading is because the cheap banana plugs Tara Labs uses do not fit tight enough and work themselves loose.  When I saw the Audioquest Rocket 88 and Robin Hood they were terminated with their solid metal Sure Grip banana banana lugs.  Audioquest told me these will fit tighter than the Tara Labs banana plugs.  Tara Labs said they were not able to terminate their cable with these banana plugs.

Again, thanks to all for your input!
I can't believe Charles Miller took the time to contact me.  As a result, he turned me onto Synergestic speaker wire.  I just got of the phone with Synergestic and he was amazing and is Charles.

You guys, Charles is someone you need to listen to.  He is the real deal!
Thanks to all for your input.  I went forward and purchased Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Level 1 speaker cables and power cord.