Need help/advice on choosing a new CDP

My cdp is on its last leg - it's been refusing to read/play most of my CDs for quite some time now, so I need to find a new one soon. I was thinking about getting an "entry-level" CDP, which'd actually be an upgrade from what I currently have, a Denon universal player. I know what you guys are thinking ... a universal player?! I'm fairly new to audiophile so please excuse my ignorance. I mean, I've always been interested in audio but I didn't know much at all until I started putting together my first system a few years ago. Now I know better ...

Anyway, enough rambling ... I thought I could find a decent CDP for around $1k (or hopefully a little less) to replace my DVD-2930CI but now after some auditioning, I'm not so sure. I was considering the new Rotel RCD-1520, Jolida JD100A, Rega Apollo, and Arcam FMJ CD17. So far, I've heard the RCD-1520 twice at the same store, once with Jolida tube amp which sounded OK, and once with Rotel's new integrated stereo amp which makes it too forward sounding (and not enough depth plus details are lost). I've also heard the Creek Classic CDP with the Jolida amp which didn't sound good to me, and the Jolida JD100A with the Rotel amp which sounded too bright (and hence fatiguing, the sound's somewhat recessed but overall detailed) at the same store. With all the problems Apollo (and Saturn) owners have reported, I'm hesitant to get one. I still plan on auditioning it alongside the Arcam CD17 at another store soon. I am pretty confused and overwhelmed now as it looks like I'll have to spend quite a bit more than I thought. I don't want to buy something that sounds just OK to me ... Some CDP ideas I got from talking to audio dealers/stores and doing research online are: Creek Destiny and CD50 MK2 (already obsolete though), Simaudio Moon CD-1 and CD.5, Arcam FMJ CD36, Shanling.

If you have any CDP recommendations for me or can share your experience with any of the players I have mentioned, that'd be very helpful. My current setup: Jolida JD502B tube amp, 2x B&W CM7, AudioQuest cables and interconnects. I listen to all kinds of music (except rap). I am looking for good detail and some dimensionality in the sound.
cjng

Showing 1 response by hamms006