Need complete stereo help starting with preamp

I recently bought a Rega P3 planning on upgrading my whole conventional JVC system and don't know where to start. I am limited on space for speakers although am trying to fill a fairly large room with sound. I am planning on purchasing either some 601 B&Ws or something a little larger and do not have much understanding of amps/preamps. Do I need to buy a phono preamp and a preamp to go along with whatever amp I choose or is that neccesary? Would I be better off buying an integrated amp/preamp? I would like to spend under $1000 on my amp/preamp combo to get me started. What would you guys reccomend in that price range? (it does not neccesarily have ot be new equipment) Thanks in Advance!

Andy
aanderson

Showing 1 response by c123666

For a tubed unit check out the Audio Note SORO; it comes in phono or linestage versions. Very powerful for the rated 17 watts and great sounding, too. Not sure of the specs on your speakers. If the rated sensitivity is less than 88db and the resistance is less than 8 ohms it may not be the best match.

Audiomat Prelude/Arpege can be had for just over a grand at about 1200 and it is a superior unit. It has a linestage only, though. So, if you need a phono input you'd have to acquire a dedicated phono unit. They start at around 100 and go up into the 1000s.