Need Amp recommendation

Hello. I am looking for a amp recommendation to pair with my Rogue 99 Magnum preamp and Magnepan 1.6s… something in the modest range, say $400 to $500 (used) or less. Previously used a Rotel and would do so again, but feel there are better options out there.

128x128abogner

Smart move to up budget. If it was me and I owned the Rogue I would find a warm tube like solid state that has high current that doubles between 4 and 8 ohms.

The Rogue is not a lush tube preamp but when matched with a warm side of neutral amp it work very well.

Since you upped budget use a little money and upgrade the rubes in the Rogue if it if it hasn’t been done you will be rewarded.

Do a little research and find a amp that sells fairly quick if you want to try others and never loose a dime. Usually the ones that sell quick do so for a reason. 

There is a GAS Son of Ampzilla for sale on US Audiomart. I have been involved in high end audio for over 40 years and started off with a Son of Ampzilla and Maggie SMGa speakers. While I have had some 30-odd amps through the years, I held onto the Son. It has an entertainment factor other amps just seemed to miss. I have used it with other Maggies from SMGa's, MMG's, 1.4's, 1.6's, and 3.6's. It always handled the Maggies very well. 

I had a reference mod performed on it by Mike Bettinger with GAS Audio, formerly GASWorks. I am currently using it on Wilson Audio SabrinaX's and just love it. I have auditioned it against a Gryphon Diablo 120. While the Diablo did have aspects that were better, it wasn't enough at all for me to walk away from the Son. The Son held it's own in that one too and proved again it is a great value.

The nice thing about the Son for sale on US Audiomart is it is in great condition and has a basic mod performed by GASWorks to boot. I should think it would check off all the boxes in your search criteria, especially for the asking price of $750. I do not know the seller, and that being the case, do not represent him.

Good luck.

1500 is a good figure for the right amp (500 was unrealistic for anything of good quality)

much to choose from in the used market at that price level

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisae7hj-classe-audio-ca-101-solid-state << -- a good 'un, but given age you might have it checked out by a tech, still, it should come in under 1500 all in...