Need advice on pre/pro - Rotel1098/Outlaw990/???

Hello, I need some input on selecting a preamp/processor for my home theater system. I have a merged 2-channel/home theater setup right now. Here is my current gear:
- HK AVR430
- PS3 80GB, Comcast HD Cable, Yamaha DVD player
- Proceed PRE, PDP and CDD, AMP2
- B&W 640's, LCR3 center and JBL rears.
- Sony 42" 1080i LCD

I'm adding a Proceed AMP3 to the mix which will allow me to move up from the HK into a Pre/Pro. My budget for the processor is $1000.

Since my only hi-res input device right now is the PS/3, the capability for the processor to decode TrueHD and Master Audio are not necessary. I have no problem being a bit behind the curve. In fact, I would rather have a higher end/higher performance unit with lesser capabilities.

Audio performance of first and foremost with me. If a processor had outstanding 2-channel audio performance that met or exceeded my Proceed PRE, then I'd consider selling the PRE. I have read in many forums of people suggesting for the best 2-channel performance, to keep your stereo pre-amp in the picture, and I'm very happy with my Proceed preamp.

Right now, the HK is doing component switching between DVD and HD cable. The PS3 runs HDMI into the TV for video and Toslink to the HK for audio. If I got a better picture from cable over HDMI and did all video switching in the receiver, I'd consider this, but this not a priority.

Models I'm considering (in no particular order):
Outlaw 990
- Likes: balanced outputs, 30-day in home no-risk trial, new equipment warranty, price
- dislikes: DVI instead of HDMI, but I probably won't use these.

Rotel 1098
- My B&W dealer is also a Rotel dealer and he says this is an excellent match for my equipment. He has a 1098 demo unit 1098 available with the full Rotel warranty, but this is way out of my budget.
- There appears to be a good supply of 1098's in the used market place ~$1000 price point. I'm concerned about the fact that the warranty is non-transferrable and I have read in some forums of people voicing concerns with failures.

Integra 9.8
- likes: balanced, latest codecs, lot's of favorable comments in online forums on this model
- dislikes: over budget

I appreciate your input and recommendations.
timjclark

Showing 2 responses by dbphd

Tim,

I have a Proceed PAV/PDSD pair that I use with a Proceed Amp 2 and an Amp 3. I am attracted to the idea of replacing the PDSD with an Integra 9.8 for its HDMI and Audessey, if I can bypass the Integra's processing for analog as the PSDS permits you to do, but I'm not sure the Integra has that capability. Do you know, and how would you accomplish it? There appears to be no Integra dealer in Santa Barbara, so I've never actually seen a 9.8.

db
Thanks Marty,

I was heading to Evolution AV Sunday afternoon, but have decided to go another day -- my Proceed PAV/PDSD sounds fine, and my Velodyne SMS-1 probably does the heavy lifting on room equalization below 80 Hz. I've always found EAV to be helpful and a great place to see, hear, and buy stuff.

db