Need advice on Cary 303-200: best power cord, etc.

I have a Cary 303-200 that is about a month old, using a Nordost Blue Heaven I.C. & the stock power cord. What I am noticing is that it sounds really good on the 2 HDCD's that I have. But with regular CD's: One problem is that bass is really not that great--you don't really hear the definition or tonal quality of acoustic bass on jazz albums (is much better on HDCD). And the whole sound quality in general is a bit "diffuse"; instruments may sound pleasing but are not as well defined as on the 2 Calif. Audio CDP's I've owned. (I generally have the 96/24 switch "on", but switch back & forth quite a bit to experiment).

Is this just the way this player sounds? Should I try an upgraded power cord? Or? Does it need more break in? Or need to be left on constantly?

Rest of my system: ARC VT100MK2, VTL pre-amp, Merlin TSM-M's, Rega P25 w/Benz Glider. Thanks for any advice!
steveaudio

Showing 1 response by south_park

I have had the Cary 303, 1st the 100 and then the 200, have had the 200 for a few months. I have good results on the Bass. I am using DH labs Air matrix balanced interconnects. I recently upgraded to Symposium roller blocks for isolation which really improved the top end, clarity and detail, I don't think the bass was affected. I have not upgraded the power cord, but let me know the results if you have the guts to go first. I know many dampen the cabinet with some weights, if you ding it with your finger you will know why. Anyhow, you can extract some good sound out of this player as I have done, so don't feel bad.
- good luck