Need advice in coming out from the analog dead

I am getting back into the better quality audio game after have relegated myself to the sidelines for about 20 years. Used to have a fine Mac amp and pre and a Linn table which I kick myself (repeatedly) for having ever sold.

Anyway, I recently got a good deal on a VPI TNT table with a Origin Live Silver arm. Normally, I would not have bought a table FIRST, but the deal was too good to pass on. If I have to, I will sell and replace depending on what else I get.

I have about 2500 LP's (including about 40 MFSL's) and love the analog sound. Listen to what they now call "Classic Rock" - Beatles, Zeppelin, Yes, CSNY, Doors etc. but also Steely Dan and more "jazz" influenced music, especially piano soloists. Plus, I am really into female vocals. My "listening room is about 25X15 so I figure I will need some decent punch to deliver the goods to whatever speakers I ultimately choose. I am leaning heavily toward SS because I'm not sure I want to fool with "tube games" at this point in my life (though I loved my old Mac tubes).

After all that, my question is this. What would ya'll recommend, given the above, based on the following rough budget for used, unabused components:

Amplifier - $1500-$2000
Pre-Amp $800-1200
Speakers $2000

Or, as do some, would you recommed dialing back a bit on the amp and sinking more into speakers.

Thanks very much in advance for any help. Seems to be some very sage advice on this board.
4yanx

Showing 1 response by phil0618

Hi,
I recently went through a major overhaul of gear after living with the same stuff for years. I don't have the time to hang out in stereo stores and endlessly audition, so I did my upgrade by looking at various Stereophile reviews and then picking my spots. My tastes in music are similar to yours.

I wound up with an old Threshold FET 2 preamp that I got for around $300. Very nice unit that includes a phono section. Rumor has it the later model might be even better and has more adjustments for cartridge loading etc. Threshold is built like a tank and should last for some years.

The speakers wound up being Proac Response 1.5's. I'd only heard good things about Proac's and I wasn't disappointed. In truth I'd probably like the 2.5's more as the 1.5's can be a bit shy in the bass, but they sound great and I got them for about half price here on A'gon and they look great too.

I did audition several amps. Mostly as loaners from friends. I thought that the Threshold S/150 was too polite. My old Adcom GFA 555 was too bright. Some Audio Research tube stuff was pretty neat but too expensive so I settled on a CJ/Sonographe SA 250. If you like to really rock out at high volumes you may want to go for more watts, but the sound is very nice.

Good luck.

Phil