Need Advice for LCRs - Budget $500-$1000

Helping my brother out with his basement build. He gave me a budget to complete his audio and video. I need some advice on his front soundstage with picking some good LCRs. I usually post over on AVS, but most reply there with the same ID speaker choices such as Ascend and HTD. Which i own some Ascends and like, but also have some older Triads that are even better.I would like some advise on some older/used models to capture more bang for the buck unless ID is the way to go.

Room is 14x20, 8' ceilings and is open in the back to a bar area. 80% TV/Sports and only 20% movies. No music. Not trying to get reference volumes, but again would like to be able to turn it up once in awhile. Will purchase a base avr such as Pioneer 1122 or similar. (Suggestions open $300-$400)

What do you suggest for his front LCRs with budget under $1000 preferably, aesthetics not an issue as they are going behind an AT screen.

Sub for now will be an SVS 20-39 and I might have are located some onwall Triad surrounds for him.

Suggestions......Thanks
tbraden32

Showing 1 response by soix

The center speaker, as usual, will likely be the most important of the three so I'd try to get the best one possible. For $375 I think the Paradigm Monitor 7 Center 1 could be a very good choice, and you can pair it with the Mini Monitors and still be under $1000. I suppose you might get away with the Atoms and save a couple hundred bucks if you really have to, but I wouldn't.

As for the receiver, at this level I wouldn't sweat it too much -- just make sure you get the features and connectivity he needs (both now and for the future as much as possible). I'd recommend getting a model with room/speaker correction if at all possible. I like Pioneer and Onkyo, although I do see reports of people having issues with Onkyos from time to time.

Hope this helps, and best of luck.