need a good 100 watt, 2 channel receiver

I am the proud owner of a 20 year old MAC 4100 receiver (fm/am/phono/aux1 and 2). I am up there in age and I am now handicapped. So I need a new receiver - this one with a remote control. Most of the receivers I see now are home theater units with 5 channels - at 100 watts per channel. Although some say that their THD is .05% (per channel, I assume), I cannot believe that manufacturers can build a reliable unit with those characteristics which sells for $600-800.

In any case, all I want is a good 100 watt, 2 channel receiver that is build well and has THD of .02%, which is what I am accustomed to. The only unit I can find with these characteristics is a Yamaha RX-777;MSRP is $550. I have two Klipsh Cornwall speakers and a Sony 400 CD "jukebox" player (I cannot get up and down to change CDs).

Can anyone help me? Is the quality of "mid-fi" circuitry as good as "hi-fi" was 20 years ago. How about workmanship? Would the Yamaha unit be as good as it can get without going to separates? Are there other manufacturers who offer a unit that suites my needs?

I know all of you are concerned with very high end equipment. I would, however, like to call upon your collective expertise in this matter. I can't really trust the dealers to give me the straight answer. Please, please do not tell me to junk my stuff and invest in a "Megatronic 5000 amp" and a "Supervox 7.5 preamp with radical cycloconcetric feedback transistors." I have just a few years left and I just want to listen to my music without a lot of trouble.
messydesk

Showing 1 response by argent

I second the votes for Rotel and NAD. Solid mid-fi equipment and you should find them at affordable prices. For NAD, check the online adds here on Audiogon. Some stores are offering some pretty good mail order deals (new equipment).