need 5 speaker setup; have 1200

A friend has bought my Yamaha 2095 and is looking to purchase a 5.1 speaker system and he has approximately $1200 to spend. He is new to home theater. His system will go into an 12 x 20 combo living/dining area with wood floors. He will be setting up the system along the long walls (viewing and listening across the narrow dimensions of the room). He will audition speakers in town but will purchase on audiogon or other similar site.

Two questions:
1) What price (retail) speakers should he audition and realistically be able to purchase on audiogon or ebay for around $1200?; and
2) What would you recommend he audition in that price range?

thanks,
dwwhitley

Showing 3 responses by clueless

Wow! what a lot of respect for audio stores! They must be a different group in your neck of the woods! I use the old 10 question test. You know, the dumb like a fox routine. Ask 10 questions that you already know the answer to when you walk in. My sad experience is that 9 of 10 audio stores fail miserably and would sell you whatever they need to move. I'm into ethics but it's nice when it moves both ways. Maybe I just have had bad luck!
Leo, I did not get the idea that the salesman were stupid, rather, they thought I was stupid and were willing to say whatever it took... there is a difference.. I agree with you about common decency, except it just isn't so common anymore... especially in retail. I do understand what you are trying to say about simply respecting other people and I agree. Maybe I was being a little flip and thanks for the good words. Being a realist maybe I should use the 2 question test. I'll ask their name and one question and if they pass, I'll buy. Just kidding and thanks for the reply.