Nearfield listening

Does anyone use large speakers for nearfield listening? I read a lot about monitors for nearfield, but I use large speakers with good results.
fruff1976
I was using magnepan and put them aside for a new pair of usher 6371's. I like the 6371's much better especially up close. With the magnepans I could never just sit still and listen. I always wanted to keep moving them around but couldn't find the right positioning. This happened in every place I lived in all different types of rooms. Also, with medium to high powered amps. I felt like I was always observing the music from far away vs. being immersed like with the ushers. I guess I just like box speakers better. I did try numerous monitors for close listening but they always seemed too bright with no heft to the sound.
Reubent,
I purchased my pair of Clements RT-7's when there was a small cosmetic upgrade in the '88-'89 era.
Still the basic appearance you mentioned, but with beautiful Zebra Wood top and bottom caps, with an ambience opening in the front of the top cap above the special design ribbon tweeter.
Each relatively tall speaker came with an additional factory supplied heavy metal low stand, allowing for spikes to be between the stand and the floor.
The imaging and overall sound integration I hear is surprisingly fine even when only three feet in front of speakers spaced ten feet apart. I'm usually about four to five feet in front.
I think each listener has his own sense of when an adequate illusion of solid performers in three dimensional space is achieved.
I listen to Spendor LS3/5A's in another room so I am aware of how smaller monitor speakers can optimize the nearfield experience, minus the deeper bass.
Reubent,Listener57;

Those Clements are awesome speakers. I remember a local hifi shop growing up carried them. What ever happened to Clements?
Robr45,
Phil Clements is still making speakers under both the Clements, and Solus names.
His company website, Solusaudio.com, shows one of the Solus architectural in wall/ceiling designs retaining his ribbon tweeter.
Not sure if his patented bass loading technique is still a current design feature in any of his current box speakers.
I had the opportunity to hear the Harbeth M40s at a true nearfield, (about three feet away, and 5 feet apart) in an acoustically treated room. Matching REL Stadium 111's, tube amplification, state of the art turntable ( sorry, I don't recollect more specifics ). Let me just say it was a transformative aural experience. As big as they were, when I closed my eyes those M40s just disappeared! I could almost reach out and touch the musicians as they played. Startlingly real 3D sound stage. I never knew what can be achieved with really high end equipment in a prepared environment. But my listening and my goals in approaching my sonic ideal are forever changed. I may never get there at home on my budget, but at least I now know what to aim for. As we can all tell by reading the great information available at A-gon, there are many different ways to get to our own musical Nirvana. The fun is in the quest. And I surely will try to get to that Promised Land.Thanks to A-gon for providing this great forum.