Nautilus 801 bass/room size amplifiers

Having a problem with standing waves in a 20L x 19W x 8 foot high room. bass guitar(guessing 100hz) on some lp's are boomy and lower bass(maybe 40hz)is rumbling. I'm biamping with 2 bryston 4bsst amps and may go to 2 14bsst. I cant afford more expensive amps!... I can increase my room length to 28 feet. I'm thinking this will make a huge difference... Any comments aire appreciated.
cardiomaniac

Showing 1 response by murrayp

I too have the N801's but in an L shaped room. They have given me real difficulties in the bass and I have been through Tact 2.0, Tact 2.2X, Rives and currently some Rane eq's believe it or not. I have also tried elevating them 6" or so (pointed down slightly - helped the bass but made a mess of the mids and was as dangerous as hell as we live in an earthquake prone area). The best I have achieved from them is by moving them further out from the wall on their standard castors - the fronts are currently about 6' from the rear wall. Other things that have helped have been eliminating the use of valve preamps - had two including a CAT - both added woolliness in the bass that the 801's make sound even worse. The various eqs all have their plus and minus points - I biamp so the Rane and Rives are able to be placed in the woofer path only. The Tact is a lot more complicated since it is a full range device and also has processing delays - no half measures there. Speaker cables also had effect - some added woolliness to the bass too. Right now I just use 3 paralleled cat 5 cables stripped and platted 3.0m long - works well - 1m didn't - no idea why not.

They really can be awesome speakers but they have to be driven with seriously good gear to get the best from them - otherwise they can sound pretty average or worse which I'm sure accounts for a lot of the negativity out there.

Good luck - any questions?

Murray