Nautilus 801 bass/room size amplifiers

Having a problem with standing waves in a 20L x 19W x 8 foot high room. bass guitar(guessing 100hz) on some lp's are boomy and lower bass(maybe 40hz)is rumbling. I'm biamping with 2 bryston 4bsst amps and may go to 2 14bsst. I cant afford more expensive amps!... I can increase my room length to 28 feet. I'm thinking this will make a huge difference... Any comments aire appreciated.
cardiomaniac

Showing 1 response by jeffb28451

Cardio:

I've had 805, 801 and 802's. In 25 years of high end, with planars, electros, ribbons, and more dynamics than you can shake a stick at, the 801 were the wooliest, hairiest speakers (both with and without flutes, Arcici's, etc.) I ever tried to work with

IN 24x14x9 plaster and lathe or 17x13x8 (way too small) drywall rooms, they had an unconquerable rise at 80 hz that ran from min. 8 db to max 12 db no matter where situated. the 802 were some better, but not much. Symphonic Lines and Levinsons (which I understand they were voiced with) never really opened them up. I tried 400 watts per channel of PS Audio, thinking that was it, but no.

Obviously, they work for some folks. Too many studios use them for classical mixdown for them to sound as bad as all that. I'm just saying that, in my experience, these were the most difficult and frustrating speakers I've ever tried to work with and I spent big money on updated, aftermarket x'overs, stands, and so forth. If you like them, the Rives Parc e.q. is the way to go and cheaper than trading the speakers and buying new.

Good luck,
Jeffb28451