Nautilus 801 bass/room size amplifiers

Having a problem with standing waves in a 20L x 19W x 8 foot high room. bass guitar(guessing 100hz) on some lp's are boomy and lower bass(maybe 40hz)is rumbling. I'm biamping with 2 bryston 4bsst amps and may go to 2 14bsst. I cant afford more expensive amps!... I can increase my room length to 28 feet. I'm thinking this will make a huge difference... Any comments aire appreciated.
cardiomaniac

Showing 2 responses by gregm

While you're working on Stehno's suggestions, *do* extend the length of the room. This should help with room modes.
BTW, an agoner called Rives is into acoustics: you might try his site (site) or try contacting him for advice (if he doesn't catch on here).
I never had the 801 in my room, but tried to get them to work elsewhere. The results were much like Jeffb's above -- incidentally with a class A Symphonic Line amp (125W rms/channel): a bump s/where in the late70's early 80's.

We did raise them off the ground using Nordost pulsar points (because those were available:)) to reduce floor bounce. It could be worth your trying.

You'd use an equaliser before the amp(s) and tailor the sound to your room according to the response you get at the listening position.

Some room treatment (bass traps & diffusers) will probably help more than anything -- but it will clutter the room:(