NAS Question

Currently, I have a music dedicated, networked laptop in my home office with all my FLAC files on the HDD. These files are backed-up to a NAS with mirrored HDDs (RAID 1).

I listen in (1) my home office using JRiver on the above laptop direct out to a DAC via USB to a head phone set-up; and (2) my big rig listening area using a second networked laptop that only has the OS and JRiver on its SSD - the FLAC files are accessed from the office-based, networked laptop HDD.

Well, I bought (1) a two-bay NAS with two 2TB HDDs; and (2) a 64GB SDD. I plan to move all my FLAC Files to the new NAS and install the SSD on the office-based laptop to hold only the OS and JRiver.

I will continue to back-up all FLAC files to the previously existing mirrored NAS (RAID 1).

My question: Since I do not need additional back-up, I can configure the new NAS as RAID 0 to in essence give me 4TB of storage spanning the two 2TB HDDs. Is there any downside to this arrangement either in stability, performance or sonics?

If I am asking a silly question, you can tell me that, too.

Thanks.
128x128flyfish2002

Showing 1 response by flyfish2002

OK, thanks. Reviewing the documentation, my choices are RAID 0, RAID 1 or JBOD, which stands for Just a Bunch of Disks. JBOD treats each HDD as a separate networked HDD on the network - which would give me two 2TB HDDs.

Choices, choices.