Nakamichi TX 1000 turntable

I want to find out what the value of a Nakamichi tx 1000 turntable. I have access to one but I've seen values all over the scale. The unit seems in pristine condition.
clint501

Showing 8 responses by frogman

Thanks for the link, Chris. Maybe the coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but somehow, when the stylus hit the groove, that was not the music I expected to hear come out of an awesome machine like that. Even more awesome tonearm.
Told you the coffee hadn't kicked in. Sorry I wasn't clear. I was not referring to the quality of the sound (can't have high expectations of Youtube); I was expecting music a little more, well.... serious, to come out of such a serious looking machine. Regards.
Rpeluso, kindly explain how it is that my referring to that music as not particular serious is any more of a "transgression" (!!!!) than you referring to me as a "snob". "Putdown" ? C'mon man, lighten up. I don't know the person who posted that video nor why he chose that music; not to mention that he is clearly not part of this discussion. Have you nothing better to do than play monitor? What have you contributed to this thread besides your criticism of me? Nothing.

****There is no accounting for taste. ****

Obviously so.

****You have your, I have mine, he has is, and they are each as valid as the other. ****

Also true, but "as valid" only to each of us. I can respect the fact that you may like Velveeta more than aged Vermont cheddar, but don't tell me that I am not allowed to say that Velveeta is not particularly good compared to aged Vermont cheddar. I am not interested in the kind of relativism that you seem to adhere to. If that makes me a snob, I accept the title proudly.
Peace.
Clint505, apologies for the irrelevant silliness. Now, to answer your and Chris' question: personally (and cheapskate that I am) I would probably be willing to pay around $2000 for that table simply to experience the benefits of Lp centering; with the assumption and expectation that a complex machine like that will need expensive (or impossible) repairs in the future and the assumption (probably unfair, but based on my experience with many different tables over the years) that, ultimately, that benefit will not outweigh possible downsides of the design. I would go for it. I can't imagine that you couldn't, as a worst case, get a very substantial part (or all and perhaps even more) of your investment back from the sale of the parts if the table breaks down.
Good luck. Very cool machine for playing some serious music :-)
Thuchan, no need to make apologies for your choice of music. I like Paul
Simon, and I agree that the sound quality of his recordings is generally very
good. I apologize if I came across as critical of the music; it was simply a
bad attempt at humor. Great table! I have been intrigued by it since the old
TAS days when (I believe it was) REG would always speak highly of the
benefits of LP centering. Regards.