I have extensive experience with these receivers Having owned all of them at one time or another. Still have an SR-3A. I compared an SR4A directly with a TA4A and ended up preferering the SR. It is more detailed and open with a more refined and nuanced sound. The TA has more powerful bass and is a little more dynamic. I personally would not replace an SR with a TA but a lot would depend on the rest of your gear and your listening preferences. They are both insanely great sounding pieces and are sonically superior to many more expensive seperates and trendy integrated amps.
10 responses Add your response
I have been very happy with my SRs. My main system is an SR-4A, Adcom GCD700 and Wharfedale 70th Anniversary speakers. My upstairs system is an SR-3A (which displaced a long loved Rotel RX550), Adcom GCD700 (I like the Adcom 700s), and Boston Acoustic HD9s.
I listen mostly to classical and jazz - rock once in a while.
I love my SR-4A but miss the remote; it got stolen. I cannot find a working code on universal remotes and factory cannot supply a replacement. Can any one help or provide guidance? Thanks
Reply to: [email protected]
My first SR4A started occasionally loosing a channel. So I installed the TA4A I had bought a couple of years ago as back-up.
Right now I am running an SR4A on my main system and the TA4A on my third floor system. I've had both the TA and an SR patched into the same system.
The TA does seem to have more bass though (agreeing with infinitebaffle) I think the SR has a more nuanced sound.
Another major difference between the SR and TA a lines is that the TA added "Pre-Out" and "Main-In" jacks on the back. They came with jumpers that can be removed and allow for introducing a signal processor or using these receivers for either their pre-amp or power amp sections. I can attest to the comments about the TA's that were made in China has inferior solder joints that fail over time and result in a channel dropping out or popping... that is what killed mine after some 25 years and for some reason shops do not seem to be able to trace the cause as I had it 'repaired' twice yet it still demonstrates the problem.