Nakamichi High Comm II

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Nak High Comm II. I was reading the owners manual, it is pretty straight forward to use.

The only thing it is not clear about is the recording level, other than saying it should be high, it does not tell you the limit.
The other important thing that is not clear is do you need to go thru the calibration process every time if you use a different brand of cassette? In other words, if you calibrated with TDK, but can you record on a maxell using the same calibration level or you have to repeat that process again?

Also, what is the ideal level for each class of cassettes, Type I, II and IV ?

Lastly, do you think is it worth going thru the effort with that High Comm II unit? I have not listened to cassettes in a long time, so I need to know if the cassette recorded and playback with this, would it sound truly terrific, almost like a R2R? How would you rate their sound quality?

Your input and experience sharing is highly appreciated like always.

Many Thanks

Stay safe
audiomaster
I used a Hi-Com with a Revox Reel to Reel decades ago.

I calibrated with the 400hz? signal to 0 db before recording on every tape. I do remember that the level was a couple of white lines higher on the right versus left channel to get both VU meters to 0 db.  You can record Hot as I primarily taped rock music but pushed it only to plus 3 to 6 db max.  

The build is typical Nak quality and I had mine gone through and the lights replaced by Willy Herman who is well worth getting in touch with if you want detailed and professional knowledge.

I still have the Hi-Com but it is boxed as I use the built in DBX on my Teac reel to reel.  The Nak used the improved circuit that supposedly stopped the bass pumping that was the ban of the DBX recording system.  In taping my current reel to reels I cannot detect bass pumping or if it is there it is not at a level that I can detect or annoys me.  

I am relying on memory but the Hi-Com did work great with my reel to reel.  Never used it with my Nak cassette as Dolby C is fantastic

I would get in contact with Mr. Herman for expert and direct knowledge and he can answer any question you have.

Thank you so much for your reply. 

I made a cassette, a TDK type II, last night, using the High Comm II, and a Onkyo Integra  2048 cassette deck.

To say that I was really impressed with the SQ would be an understatement. I honestly was not expecting much, but this component made such a remarkable difference, it was The Eagles greatest hits, German pressing that I had recorded and I heard Don and Glenn together with the rest of the band AS A BAND, the music sounded detailed, in a natural way, and overall sound was non-fatigue and highly musical and enjoyable. I had never heard music like that before, and I am going to make a few more cassettes of music that I am really familiar with.

I always wanted a R2R but those big spools and lack of space always kept me away from it.  
But with the addition of the Nak High Comm, the SQ I get is even remotely close to a R2R, I can't even imagine how great a R2R  would that sound in my system.
Why did it (High Comm)  not take off, I could not find much on the web about it.
Any ways, please share your thoughts and let me know that High Comm is really that great and I am not hearing things...LOL

Have a great weekend 

Stay safe
No your not imagining it.  It was and is a great noise reduction unit. No tape hiss with 25db clean noise reduction.

I paid Mr. Hermann to go through mine and retain it as it truly is an excellent unit and I just cannot bring myself to let it go.

I used it my Revox reel to reel and it worked great.  I sold the Revox a decade or so ago and scored a nice Teac X2000 with internal DBX noise reduction.  I find the DBX to work fine for my needs and use the Teac these days basically to retain a clean and fresh copy of my MoFi one steps or other high quality vinyl releases.

I have a Nak ZX7 cassette and it still works like the day I bought it.  It doesn't get much use these days but I will never sell it and still use and enjoy it.

The Hi-Com is (Telefunken?) a splendid implementation of noise reduction and improved on the DBX encoding and decoding.  If I was seriously taping like I used to I would use the Nak and leave the DBX unengaged on the Teac.

Glad you enjoy it and Mr. Hermann can certainly keep it like new if ever necessary.  It's a great unit.  

Stay Safe and Happy Taping!!!!!
Hi again, 

Thanks you so much for your input and suggestions.

My unit is almost brand shiny new, came with original box too. 

The cassette recorded and played with this high comm sound phenomenal.
I have a not too bad system, older Accuphase CD Transport, DP 80L,  and DAC, DC 81. The turntable is a VPI HW19 JR. MK III.with a Stax arm and Ortofon high output  MC.
I have many records and CDs, but can honestly say, non of them sound as good as a cassette played with HC. 
The musicality, pace, rhythm, timing, and zero fatigue factor, I am in love with it, I am sure you know that by now..LOL.

The Onkyo, TA 2048,  never sounded good on its own, that is why I left in the storage for the last five years or more. I had some really, so called excellent sounding cassette decks,  mostly Nakamichis, Dragon, CR 7A, CR 5A, CR 3A, BX 300, Z X7. I sold them all, feeling non of them was worth hanging on to. 
But now it is going to change a bit, I already have a Nakamichi 481, and Nak Cassette Deck 2 is on its way. 
I have a refurbished Akai, GXC 570D, I will try that tonight for I have not used it in a while.  
The problem with older Nak is that parts are no longer available, or you have to send your maching to Mr. Willy Hermann. 

Ok, gotta go. 

Have a great week.

Stay safe

Cheers