Nakamichi Dragon Performance with Type II tapes

Hi,

I recently acquired a mint Nakamichi Dragon. I tried recording from vinyl to TDK SA-X tape. The source/tape were not 100% identical, there was (very small) loss of metal texture in cymbal and high-hat sounds. Is this the media's (tape) limitation or is the deck malfunctioning?

Any help is appreciated.

Best Regards
livin_262002

Showing 4 responses by livin_262002

Thank You Inna and Lloydc, Lloydc, me and my deck did pay a visit to Willy two weeks ago, he did a very fine job on it, he said the deck performed to spec, just was curious if the slight loss of fidelity was normal with tape media.As always you were very helpful.

Thanks Again!
Inna, thanks for the info, it's getting real hard to find TDK and Maxell Type IV tapes at reasonable prices. The Maxell Metal Vertex's asking price is about $120 a piece, MA-XG's are a bit reasonable. I have quite a few TDK SA-X Type II tapes and a couple of TDK MA and Sony Metal SRs. But will keep looking for the vertex's and MA-XGs.
Thanks HifiHvn,Lloydc & Inna. I'm going to try the TDK MA tapes this weekend.I'm also planning on bumping up Bias levels during calibration bu about 0.5dB. Will let you know the results.

Thanks for all the great advice.

Best Regards
Thank you for the tip HiFiHvn, but I don't think the Dragon lets you calibrate the bias while recording is in progress. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Best Regards