NAIM 282/250DR/HC2DR against Accuphase E5000

Hi, I’m building a system again from scratch after a divorce. My speakers will be Kudos Titan 606. Contemplating integrated Accuphase E5000 vs separates NAIM 282/HCDR/250DR.

I hear both are a good match to the 606, in my country I can get a better discount on Accuphase and so the prices are E5000 USD $11,400 vs the NAIM combo. USD$ 14,250.

I like most music except jazz and most classical.

rfc

Showing 4 responses by chayro

Can’t comment on Accuphase, but the 282 preamp improves dramatically with a second high cap and much more with a supercap. The 250 has only 80 watts while the Accuphase has 240(?). remember the Naim will involve a lot of boxes, cables and Naim speaker wires for the amp to be stable. Are you ready for that? Plus the Kudos are not very efficient, so they can use the power, especially because you are not a jazz or classical fan, which sounds like you want volume and impact. IMO, go for the Accuphase. Simple, powerful, tone controls. After a divorce, maybe simpler is better. 

IMO, I’d you owned a 252/300, you will not be happy with the 282/250, especially without a supercap. I just paired down from 3 boxes to an integrated with dac and I really appreciate the simplicity. The integrated cost more than the separates and I think it sounds better. Also, don’t forget the tone controls. Nice to have when you need them. 

@ryder - I wasn’t talking about a Naim integrated. You are correct that they can’t approach the quality once you reach the 282/250 level. I don’t think the OP would be satisfied with a Naim integrated. 

I am using a Heed Lagrange with the dac card. I simplified my previous system which was the Heed Obelisk integrated with the optional power supply and the Heed Abacus dac. Very good, but too many boxes and cables for me. The Lagrange is a very nice amp, but I think it would be underpowered for your purposes, as it’s only 60 wpc. Plenty for me though.