Nagaoka MP-150 vs MP-200

I recently upgraded my turntable which came with a Naga MP-150.  I like the 150, but can't help wondering how much difference a 200 stylus would make.  For anyone with experience with both, I welcome your thoughts. (Previously I had a Signet TK5e for many years, which I was happy with. Anyone happen to know what current cartridge would be closest sounding to that?)
128x128xs1137

Showing 3 responses by williewonka

Well Chakster, looks like you got "out opinioned."
Hey - not so fast - I had a Nagoka about 25 years ago and I was NEVER completely satisfied with it - I don't recall which model - sorry

Even though Nagoka seems to be a popular recommendation on this forum, I think there are better choices out there for the same/similar $$$

I've since switched to an MC cart with a ruby cantilever and OC contact Line stylus courtesy of Soundsmith, which I love

But if I were to move back to MM it would probably be an AT
- Nagoka are just not well suited to my ears

Sorry - Just another opinion - Steve

@mr_m - unfortunately my comments are based on my experience with a single Nagoka cartridge from 25 years ago, but it left a lasting impression and I've avoided them ever since.

But given the number of positive comments about the Nagoka line-up on this forum and the fact that I had a less than stellar experience with just one Nagoka cartridge I might conclude that my experience could have been due to
  • that particular cartridge had some sort of problem
  • OR, it was a bad match to the arm it was mounted on
  • OR, it was a bad match to the turntable
  • OR it was a bad match to the tonearm wire/cable
So I was wondering, could you please post the YouTube video you mentioned in your post
- I would be interested to view it

Many Thanks - Steve

@mr_m - thanks for the info on that gentleman

He does a lot of cartridge comparisons and likes Nagaoka.
He certainly does - he prefers them over all the other cartridges he reviewed in the three videos I watched.

There was a whiff of "promotional bias" :-)

I’m not sure I would trust his evaluations alone,
  • so I went looking for other comparisons and found a couple that contradicted his findings,
  • but they were very close
  • however, definitely not quite as "Night and Day" as his videos appear to suggest.
Cartridges are tough to assess, because you have to buy one to try it and their performance is very dependent on the system components, cables, the turntable and especially cartridge setup and alignment, which with the more modern stylus profiles is extremely important.

So I would still revert back to my own "Nagoka experience" and favour AT and Signet carts.

Regards - Steve